Mar 11, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
That’s a tough break, but The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reminds us that the “make whole” provision and playoffs could help to soothe the players’ concerns.
Have to remember that the “make whole” will recover a big chunk of escrow funds to players. And high playoff revenues will help, too.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) March 11, 2013
(The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman echoes that thought, noting that the NHLPA tends to be conservative when it comes to escrow, so the playoffs could indeed make a difference.)
Beyond the players’ specific concerns, it’s a good reminder of one of the issues that the NHLPA and league fought (sometimes bitterly) about during the lockout.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)