Mar 11, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
That’s a tough break, but The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reminds us that the “make whole” provision and playoffs could help to soothe the players’ concerns.
Have to remember that the “make whole” will recover a big chunk of escrow funds to players. And high playoff revenues will help, too.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) March 11, 2013
(The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman echoes that thought, noting that the NHLPA tends to be conservative when it comes to escrow, so the playoffs could indeed make a difference.)
Beyond the players’ specific concerns, it’s a good reminder of one of the issues that the NHLPA and league fought (sometimes bitterly) about during the lockout.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)