Mar 11, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
That’s a tough break, but The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reminds us that the “make whole” provision and playoffs could help to soothe the players’ concerns.
Have to remember that the “make whole” will recover a big chunk of escrow funds to players. And high playoff revenues will help, too.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) March 11, 2013
(The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman echoes that thought, noting that the NHLPA tends to be conservative when it comes to escrow, so the playoffs could indeed make a difference.)
Beyond the players’ specific concerns, it’s a good reminder of one of the issues that the NHLPA and league fought (sometimes bitterly) about during the lockout.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 51
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39