Mar 11, 2013, 8:05 PM EST
That’s a tough break, but The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reminds us that the “make whole” provision and playoffs could help to soothe the players’ concerns.
Have to remember that the “make whole” will recover a big chunk of escrow funds to players. And high playoff revenues will help, too.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) March 11, 2013
(The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman echoes that thought, noting that the NHLPA tends to be conservative when it comes to escrow, so the playoffs could indeed make a difference.)
Beyond the players’ specific concerns, it’s a good reminder of one of the issues that the NHLPA and league fought (sometimes bitterly) about during the lockout.
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 8
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 22
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 27
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 69
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (70)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)