Mar 11, 2013, 8:05 PM EST
That’s a tough break, but The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle reminds us that the “make whole” provision and playoffs could help to soothe the players’ concerns.
Have to remember that the “make whole” will recover a big chunk of escrow funds to players. And high playoff revenues will help, too.
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) March 11, 2013
(The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman echoes that thought, noting that the NHLPA tends to be conservative when it comes to escrow, so the playoffs could indeed make a difference.)
Beyond the players’ specific concerns, it’s a good reminder of one of the issues that the NHLPA and league fought (sometimes bitterly) about during the lockout.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 5
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 27
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 8
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27