Mar 11, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Dead last in the Western Conference and coming off consecutive losses by a combined score of 10-2, the Calgary Flames could really, really use a victory tonight in Los Angeles.
“We have to win,” Flames defenseman Mark Giordano said after Saturday’s 6-2 loss at the Staples Center, per the Calgary Herald.
“Time is running out quick here.”
Giordano’s right about that. One game shy of the halfway mark of its 48-game schedule, Calgary finds itself six points back of eighth place in the Western Conference.
And while Jarome Iginla trade rumors fly around like never before (which says a lot, because they’ve buzzed pretty loudly before), general manager Jay Feaster keeps insisting the organization won’t tear down and rebuild.
Feaster’s aggressive (and arguably reckless) pursuit of Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly was consistent with the club’s goal of improving on the fly.
With just 25 games remaining, however, Calgary will need a remarkable finish to snap its three-season playoffs drought. Even if the Flames were a good team — and the evidence suggests they are not — it would be a tough challenge.
“We have to win,” said head coach Bob Hartley. “That’s the urgency we’re facing right now. There’s no denying about this. We’re not far from eighth spot, but at the same time, there’s so many teams stuck in that log-jam.
“We have to put a winning streak on.”
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)