Mar 11, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Dead last in the Western Conference and coming off consecutive losses by a combined score of 10-2, the Calgary Flames could really, really use a victory tonight in Los Angeles.
“We have to win,” Flames defenseman Mark Giordano said after Saturday’s 6-2 loss at the Staples Center, per the Calgary Herald.
“Time is running out quick here.”
Giordano’s right about that. One game shy of the halfway mark of its 48-game schedule, Calgary finds itself six points back of eighth place in the Western Conference.
And while Jarome Iginla trade rumors fly around like never before (which says a lot, because they’ve buzzed pretty loudly before), general manager Jay Feaster keeps insisting the organization won’t tear down and rebuild.
Feaster’s aggressive (and arguably reckless) pursuit of Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly was consistent with the club’s goal of improving on the fly.
With just 25 games remaining, however, Calgary will need a remarkable finish to snap its three-season playoffs drought. Even if the Flames were a good team — and the evidence suggests they are not — it would be a tough challenge.
“We have to win,” said head coach Bob Hartley. “That’s the urgency we’re facing right now. There’s no denying about this. We’re not far from eighth spot, but at the same time, there’s so many teams stuck in that log-jam.
“We have to put a winning streak on.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)