Mar 11, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Dead last in the Western Conference and coming off consecutive losses by a combined score of 10-2, the Calgary Flames could really, really use a victory tonight in Los Angeles.
“We have to win,” Flames defenseman Mark Giordano said after Saturday’s 6-2 loss at the Staples Center, per the Calgary Herald.
“Time is running out quick here.”
Giordano’s right about that. One game shy of the halfway mark of its 48-game schedule, Calgary finds itself six points back of eighth place in the Western Conference.
And while Jarome Iginla trade rumors fly around like never before (which says a lot, because they’ve buzzed pretty loudly before), general manager Jay Feaster keeps insisting the organization won’t tear down and rebuild.
Feaster’s aggressive (and arguably reckless) pursuit of Colorado’s Ryan O’Reilly was consistent with the club’s goal of improving on the fly.
With just 25 games remaining, however, Calgary will need a remarkable finish to snap its three-season playoffs drought. Even if the Flames were a good team — and the evidence suggests they are not — it would be a tough challenge.
“We have to win,” said head coach Bob Hartley. “That’s the urgency we’re facing right now. There’s no denying about this. We’re not far from eighth spot, but at the same time, there’s so many teams stuck in that log-jam.
“We have to put a winning streak on.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)