Mar 11, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to a three-year, entry-level deal with Henrik Samuelsson, the club announced on Monday.
Samuelsson, 19, was Phoenix’s first-round selection — 27th overall — at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. His father, Ulf, was a two-time Stanley Cup winner with Pittsburgh.
The younger Samuelsson has enjoyed tremendous success during the 2012-13 campaign. He posted 32G-47A-79PTS in 67 games with WHL Edmonton, earning rave reviews from head coach Derek Laxdal.
“I thought last year, in terms of the development stage, from the regular season to the end of the season and through the playoffs, he was just two different players,” Laxdal told the Edmonton Sun in December. “Now you’re starting to see his development really taking off.
“He’s really taken a big step forward.”
Samuelsson currently sits 18th in the Western League in scoring and third on the Oil Kings in goals and points.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal