Mar 10, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
After getting dismantled by Nashville on Friday, the Edmonton Oilers face a tough challenge in the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday night. With that in mind, it makes sense that captain Shawn Horcoff decided to hold a players-only meeting before today’s game, according to the Edmonton Journal.
“We addressed a couple of issues,” said Horcoff. “We seem to be a little bit fragile right now.
“We came on this trip knowing it was going to be pivotal but we still have an opportunity here to salvage a decent trip and still give us a chance going forward. There’s still half a season left. It’s not over for us yet.
“There’s still belief here we can put a run together.”
Beating the Blackhawks (they’re currently up 3-0 early on) would give some reason to believe.
Unfortunately for Edmonton, the Oilers are in a familiar position at the moment: last overall in the West. They’ve lost five games in row.
In other words, there are plenty of reasons why that players-only meeting might work (or not).
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 58
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)