Mar 10, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
After getting dismantled by Nashville on Friday, the Edmonton Oilers face a tough challenge in the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday night. With that in mind, it makes sense that captain Shawn Horcoff decided to hold a players-only meeting before today’s game, according to the Edmonton Journal.
“We addressed a couple of issues,” said Horcoff. “We seem to be a little bit fragile right now.
“We came on this trip knowing it was going to be pivotal but we still have an opportunity here to salvage a decent trip and still give us a chance going forward. There’s still half a season left. It’s not over for us yet.
“There’s still belief here we can put a run together.”
Beating the Blackhawks (they’re currently up 3-0 early on) would give some reason to believe.
Unfortunately for Edmonton, the Oilers are in a familiar position at the moment: last overall in the West. They’ve lost five games in row.
In other words, there are plenty of reasons why that players-only meeting might work (or not).
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)