Mar 10, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Well, the Washington Capitals at least started off well. Also, Steven Oleksy scored his first NHL goal.
Those are about all of the positives you can take from a 4-1 loss to the New York Rangers on Sunday, though. Let’s get to the talking points.
- We might as well get the Alex Ovechkin stuff over with. His two-penalty shift opened the door for two Rangers goals. In a way, it seemed like a microcosm of his season, as one penalty was a bad error and the other seemed like bad luck (to some). How much do you blame him for this loss and the Caps’ plight overall?
- From the not important department: is Ovechkin going a little gray at the temples? Just asking.
- One bright spot has been Braden Holtby, but he was pulled today. Do you expect Washington to lean on Michal Neuvirth a bit more after today’s struggles?
- Rick Nash had a strong game, with two assists. Has he lived up to expectations in New York?
- Could this be one of those games that helps the Rangers jump from a bubble team to the more legitimate contenders we expected going into the season?
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)