Mar 10, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
Well, the Washington Capitals at least started off well. Also, Steven Oleksy scored his first NHL goal.
Those are about all of the positives you can take from a 4-1 loss to the New York Rangers on Sunday, though. Let’s get to the talking points.
- We might as well get the Alex Ovechkin stuff over with. His two-penalty shift opened the door for two Rangers goals. In a way, it seemed like a microcosm of his season, as one penalty was a bad error and the other seemed like bad luck (to some). How much do you blame him for this loss and the Caps’ plight overall?
- From the not important department: is Ovechkin going a little gray at the temples? Just asking.
- One bright spot has been Braden Holtby, but he was pulled today. Do you expect Washington to lean on Michal Neuvirth a bit more after today’s struggles?
- Rick Nash had a strong game, with two assists. Has he lived up to expectations in New York?
- Could this be one of those games that helps the Rangers jump from a bubble team to the more legitimate contenders we expected going into the season?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)