Mar 10, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes seemed resigned to say goodbye to Tuomo Ruutu for at least the regular season after he underwent hip surgery. They might be able to welcome him back into the lineup sooner than that.
Ruutu could rapidly approach a return if doctors clear him on March 15, according to The Raleigh News & Observer.
Head coach Kirk Muller believes Ruutu, 30, is in good condition despite being out of action.
“Hopefully by next week we get the green light from him,” Muller said. “I think it will start off as team practices, then physical contact. He’s a guy who has kept himself in pretty good shape. I think once it starts, as far as practices, I don’t think he’s too far off.
“If he feels good, you could see him being ready to get in the lineup. I don’t know how long it will take but I don’t think it will take too long.”
That’s vague, but it sounds like he has a solid shot to beat those early prognostications by a healthy margin if that doctor’s visit goes well.
Ruutu is a solid scorer (18 goals, 34 points last season; 57 points in 2010-11), but the physical edge he brings to the table could really be a difference-maker for Carolina.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (45)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)