Mar 10, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes seemed resigned to say goodbye to Tuomo Ruutu for at least the regular season after he underwent hip surgery. They might be able to welcome him back into the lineup sooner than that.
Ruutu could rapidly approach a return if doctors clear him on March 15, according to The Raleigh News & Observer.
Head coach Kirk Muller believes Ruutu, 30, is in good condition despite being out of action.
“Hopefully by next week we get the green light from him,” Muller said. “I think it will start off as team practices, then physical contact. He’s a guy who has kept himself in pretty good shape. I think once it starts, as far as practices, I don’t think he’s too far off.
“If he feels good, you could see him being ready to get in the lineup. I don’t know how long it will take but I don’t think it will take too long.”
That’s vague, but it sounds like he has a solid shot to beat those early prognostications by a healthy margin if that doctor’s visit goes well.
Ruutu is a solid scorer (18 goals, 34 points last season; 57 points in 2010-11), but the physical edge he brings to the table could really be a difference-maker for Carolina.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)