Mar 9, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
Mike Ribeiro can be a polarizing figure and he proved that again Saturday.
Ribeiro, the Washington Capitals center, was called for high-sticking New York Islanders forward John Tavares then slammed with an unsportsmanlike conduct minor for complaining about the first call in the third period.
Tavares scored late in the ensuing second power play to give the Islanders a 3-2 lead and then added another goal on another man-advantage 30 seconds later to up the lead to a pair of goals.
The final score ended 5-2 for the Islanders.
“Mike knows better than that,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told NHL.com. “I’m sure he feels bad about it.”
Jeff Schultz was also dinged for a high-sticking double-minor just 22 seconds after Tavares gave the Islanders the lead in the third period.
“The penalties in the third period were deflating for us,” Capitals right winger Troy Brouwer told the Associated Press.
“We fought back to tie it and then to have two four-minute penalties against us was tough.”
Tavares is now up to 16 goals and 29 points on the season. He experienced a three-game skid without a point at the end of February into the start of March.
Since March 5, he now has four points in his last three games.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
What are the chances the Islanders, Leafs, Predators, Canucks, Flames and Jets can hang on?
Nov 26, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
Fall from grace for the former 30-goal scorer.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
Out “a couple of weeks” with a lower-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Arizona forward forced the Avs d-man from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Dallas forward does have a history with the NHL’s player safety department.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:58 AM EST
To cheer, or boo? That’s the query.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Two teams headed down different paths?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
He missed the last three games with an upper-body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It’s a question that could decide a playoff spot or two.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Tough start to the season for the veteran defenseman.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:12 AM EST
Wednesday’s roundup of links.
Nov 26, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
Colorado has now won four of five.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:45 AM EST
Jackets and Oilers talking trade.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
The Avs’ defenseman left the game and did not return.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:25 PM EST
The Oilers’ forward has had his share of knee injuries.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
Spent time in Vancouver as a player and a coach.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 PM EST
Will not return due to a lower body injury.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:18 PM EST
Extends point streak to five games.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:11 PM EST
Remains in the game.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
After 18 seasons, he’s done.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 0
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 3
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)