Mar 9, 2013, 9:23 PM EDT
The Winter Classic will return next year — and it looks like we’ll see more Heritage Classics in the near future too.
The Heritage Classic is a series of outdoor games hosted by Canadian teams.
The first took place between the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers in 2003. After the Winter Classic proved to be a successful annual tradition, the Calgary Flames hosted the Canadiens in 2011.
The NHL has plans to continue that series with contests in 2014 and 2016, according to a Winnipeg Free Press source.
The 2014 could take place in Vancouver while Winnipeg Jets owner Mark Chipman confirmed that he’s in talks with the NHL about hosting an outdoor game. Chipman is hoping that he’ll be able to make an announcement within the next month.
BC Place could be the site of the 2014 game while the soon-to-be-opened Investors Group Field might be the location of an outdoor game in Winnipeg.
Meanwhile, the 2014 Winter Classic will reportedly be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)