Mar 9, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
One way or another, it looks like Alex Kovalev‘s tenure with the Florida Panthers will end soon.
The Panthers expect the 40-year-old forward to move on within the week. That might involve him finding a new team or even retiring, according to the Miami Herald.
Kovalev hasn’t played since Feb. 22 and although he’s been listed as a scratch before each game, he hasn’t even been with the team.
The situation has dragged on, in part out of respect to Kovalev and his accomplishments over his 1,316-game NHL career. The Panthers have been reluctant to put him on waivers and are hopeful that this can be resolved amicably.
After signing a one-year, $1 million contract with Florida in early January, Kovalev recorded five points in 14 games.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (98)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)