Mar 9, 2013, 6:54 PM EST
One way or another, it looks like Alex Kovalev‘s tenure with the Florida Panthers will end soon.
The Panthers expect the 40-year-old forward to move on within the week. That might involve him finding a new team or even retiring, according to the Miami Herald.
Kovalev hasn’t played since Feb. 22 and although he’s been listed as a scratch before each game, he hasn’t even been with the team.
The situation has dragged on, in part out of respect to Kovalev and his accomplishments over his 1,316-game NHL career. The Panthers have been reluctant to put him on waivers and are hopeful that this can be resolved amicably.
After signing a one-year, $1 million contract with Florida in early January, Kovalev recorded five points in 14 games.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)