Mar 9, 2013, 12:35 AM EDT
Florida Panthers goalie Jacob Markstrom allowed a goal on the very first shot he faced Friday against the Winnipeg Jets, making it the third goal he had allowed on the last three shots he faced.
This time, he was kept in the net, unlike what happened in a 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals the previous night.
He battled back, as did the Panthers.
But it wasn’t enough, as the visiting Jets came away with a 3-2 overtime victory, thanks to Dustin Byfuglien‘s goal with 41 seconds remaining in the extra frame.
That’s never how you want to start a hockey game,” Markstrom told NHL.com.
“As more and more time went off the clock, I felt better and better and I felt like I got into the game coming into the second period. The guys did a hell of a job in the third to push back and tie it up.”
The Panthers, now with a 7-12-6 record, are at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings with 20 points.
Florida now has one win in its last six games.
Mar 17, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
“If I’m on the ice today, it’s because I want to return.”
Mar 17, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 17, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Bruins’ d-man is “too sore” to play.
Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
He’ll be in the Calgary lineup Tuesday vs. Buffalo.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
That picture may give you a clue about the best.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Justin Abdelkader the latest Red Wing to get injured.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
No goals, just two points in first seven games as a Ranger.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere with a good line.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Bob helped Columbus move into third in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
In a related story, Connor McDavid is draft-eligible next summer.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The game also happens to be fairly huge for both teams.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Minnesota is 10-1-1 all-time versus Boston. Which you may find surprising.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Dallas has made a habit of collapsing late in the season.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
His return couldn’t come at a better time.
Mar 17, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Ottawa’s nine points out with 15 games to play.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s had issues all season long.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Boston has won eight straight games.
Mar 17, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Also an update on the East.
Mar 16, 2014, 10:11 PM EDT
- Who has the best and worst special teams in the NHL? 7
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 11
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 3
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 10
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 23
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 59
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series (59)