Mar 9, 2013, 12:35 AM EST
Florida Panthers goalie Jacob Markstrom allowed a goal on the very first shot he faced Friday against the Winnipeg Jets, making it the third goal he had allowed on the last three shots he faced.
This time, he was kept in the net, unlike what happened in a 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals the previous night.
He battled back, as did the Panthers.
But it wasn’t enough, as the visiting Jets came away with a 3-2 overtime victory, thanks to Dustin Byfuglien‘s goal with 41 seconds remaining in the extra frame.
That’s never how you want to start a hockey game,” Markstrom told NHL.com.
“As more and more time went off the clock, I felt better and better and I felt like I got into the game coming into the second period. The guys did a hell of a job in the third to push back and tie it up.”
The Panthers, now with a 7-12-6 record, are at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings with 20 points.
Florida now has one win in its last six games.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 12
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (56)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)