Mar 9, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers haven’t scored a goal in their last two games – obviously, not a winning recipe.
On Friday, one night after being shut out 3-0 by the Detroit Red Wings, the Oilers were soundly defeated 6-0 by the Nashville Predators.
The highly touted trio of youthful talent in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle was a combined minus-nine against the Predators. The Oilers have lost all five of their games to begin the month of March and are now one point ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets for last in the Western Conference standings.
"It's unacceptable. We just went two full games without a goal." – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—
Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) March 09, 2013
“You just have to hate to lose that much and say, ‘OK, this has really got to happen,’” Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger told NHL.com.
“I have a feeling, I mean, if this one doesn’t do it, I don’t know what will. This has got to knock us really off our feet and say, ‘Enough is enough’ and ‘What are the elements that aren’t fitting and what are we doing that’s not enough?’
“Having been in close games for so long and then starting to lose a few has obviously broken our psyche with the last two scores — and the Minnesota [game] — so three of the last four games are unacceptable.”
The first period provided an ominous sign of what was in store for Edmonton.
Dubnyk was pulled to begin the second period.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 9
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 35
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 33
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 107
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (107)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful