Mar 9, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers haven’t scored a goal in their last two games – obviously, not a winning recipe.
On Friday, one night after being shut out 3-0 by the Detroit Red Wings, the Oilers were soundly defeated 6-0 by the Nashville Predators.
The highly touted trio of youthful talent in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle was a combined minus-nine against the Predators. The Oilers have lost all five of their games to begin the month of March and are now one point ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets for last in the Western Conference standings.
“You just have to hate to lose that much and say, ‘OK, this has really got to happen,'” Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger told NHL.com.
“I have a feeling, I mean, if this one doesn’t do it, I don’t know what will. This has got to knock us really off our feet and say, ‘Enough is enough’ and ‘What are the elements that aren’t fitting and what are we doing that’s not enough?’
“Having been in close games for so long and then starting to lose a few has obviously broken our psyche with the last two scores — and the Minnesota [game] — so three of the last four games are unacceptable.”
The first period provided an ominous sign of what was in store for Edmonton.
Dubnyk was pulled to begin the second period.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (89)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)