Mar 9, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils managed to eke out a victory against the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday to end their six-game slide, but they’re clearly not out of the woods yet.
The Devils collapsed against the Carolina Hurricanes and suffered their ninth defeat in 11 contests. With Saturday’s 6-3 loss in the books, they’re in jeopardy of slipping below eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
With Martin Brodeur still dealing with a back injury, New Jersey goaltender Johan Hedberg made his eighth straight start. He ended up allowing five goals on just 18 shots before being yanked after two periods.
It was the second time that Hedberg has been pulled in his last three games, but he will start yet again on Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets, according to the Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
If New Jersey loses that game in regulation, then the currently ninth place Jets will have caught up with the Devils in the race for a playoff spot.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)