Mar 9, 2013, 9:52 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils managed to eke out a victory against the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday to end their six-game slide, but they’re clearly not out of the woods yet.
The Devils collapsed against the Carolina Hurricanes and suffered their ninth defeat in 11 contests. With Saturday’s 6-3 loss in the books, they’re in jeopardy of slipping below eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
With Martin Brodeur still dealing with a back injury, New Jersey goaltender Johan Hedberg made his eighth straight start. He ended up allowing five goals on just 18 shots before being yanked after two periods.
It was the second time that Hedberg has been pulled in his last three games, but he will start yet again on Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets, according to the Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
If New Jersey loses that game in regulation, then the currently ninth place Jets will have caught up with the Devils in the race for a playoff spot.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)