Mar 9, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils managed to eke out a victory against the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday to end their six-game slide, but they’re clearly not out of the woods yet.
The Devils collapsed against the Carolina Hurricanes and suffered their ninth defeat in 11 contests. With Saturday’s 6-3 loss in the books, they’re in jeopardy of slipping below eighth place in the Eastern Conference.
With Martin Brodeur still dealing with a back injury, New Jersey goaltender Johan Hedberg made his eighth straight start. He ended up allowing five goals on just 18 shots before being yanked after two periods.
It was the second time that Hedberg has been pulled in his last three games, but he will start yet again on Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets, according to the Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
If New Jersey loses that game in regulation, then the currently ninth place Jets will have caught up with the Devils in the race for a playoff spot.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5