Mar 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
After another crushing defeat on Saturday, New Jersey Devils coach Pete DeBoer was left looking for answers.
“I’m not going to kid you and stand here and tell you I’m not worried,” DeBoer said, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“We’ve got to find a way and I know it’s in that dressing room and we’ve just got to get everyone to have a good performance on the same night.”
The Devils have lost nine of their last 11 games, putting themselves in a rather deep hole after a strong start to the season.
“Too deep,” DeBoer said in the Record’s report. “We didn’t quit. That’s the silver lining, but it doesn’t help you in the standings.”
One player easy to put the blame on is goaltender Johan Hedberg, who has been pulled in two of his last three starts. However, DeBoer downplayed his decision to yank him after allowing five goals on 18 shots Saturday night.
“When you look at our schedule we’ve got back-to-back (games). It made no sense to keep Heddy in there,” DeBoer said. “He’s got to play again tomorrow. It’s our fifth game this week, so it was a decision more about energy than anything.”
Devils forward Ilya Kovalchuk also stood up for Hedberg, saying the team has given up too many rebounds.
“They just walk in and Moose he can just stop so much,” Kovalchuk said.
“It’s a team effort out there,” Elias added. “It’s not only on goalies. It’s not only on D. It’s not only on forwards.
“It’s everyone that is out there and a lot of the times the mistakes happen in the offensive zone, in the neutral zone by the forwards.”
They will have a chance to shake off this loss against the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)