Mar 9, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have been known to do different things with their off-ice training. They’ve hired a sleep doctor and even built a “mind room” for the players. One of those different techniques was hiring a sports psychologist so it figures that that’s found a way to backfire on them.
As The Canadian Press reports, former AC Milan sports psychologist Bruno Demichelis is suing Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini for wrongful dismissal and breach of contract.
Demichelis says the contract the two sides agreed on paid him a $400,000 signing bonus with $700,000 in salary for a time between July 2012 and June 2014. The Canucks claimed they informed him during the lockout that they were letting him go on January 31, 2013. Hey, times were tough and you have to cut costs somewhere, right?
This story isn’t without its funny coincidence though. Demichelis says in his suit against the team that his firing caused him mental distress. A sports psychologist being harmed mentally by a team has a total “meta” feel about it.
If this does go all the way to court I wonder if Keith Ballard winds up being a key witness thanks to how mentally tough he’s been in handling his trips in and out of coach Alain Vigneault’s doghouse.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”
Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 3
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 5
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)