Mar 9, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have been known to do different things with their off-ice training. They’ve hired a sleep doctor and even built a “mind room” for the players. One of those different techniques was hiring a sports psychologist so it figures that that’s found a way to backfire on them.
As The Canadian Press reports, former AC Milan sports psychologist Bruno Demichelis is suing Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini for wrongful dismissal and breach of contract.
Demichelis says the contract the two sides agreed on paid him a $400,000 signing bonus with $700,000 in salary for a time between July 2012 and June 2014. The Canucks claimed they informed him during the lockout that they were letting him go on January 31, 2013. Hey, times were tough and you have to cut costs somewhere, right?
This story isn’t without its funny coincidence though. Demichelis says in his suit against the team that his firing caused him mental distress. A sports psychologist being harmed mentally by a team has a total “meta” feel about it.
If this does go all the way to court I wonder if Keith Ballard winds up being a key witness thanks to how mentally tough he’s been in handling his trips in and out of coach Alain Vigneault’s doghouse.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
“I really didn’t get any indications of anything negative in exit meetings.”
Jul 1, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
One year, at $575,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
Once again it’s him, Jonas Hiller and Joni Ortio in goal.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The 35-year-old cashes in on a productive “last chance” season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Coming off a productive season, in which he scored 14 goals in 47 games.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:38 AM EDT
“He came on to the scene with Columbus last year with maybe not a lot of fanfare, but I think he impressed people.”
Jul 1, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
Which will keep him in Anaheim through 2018.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:39 AM EDT
Chicago acquired him in the Brandon Saad trade.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Carolina plans to buy him out.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:06 AM EDT
That keeps them in a position to match a potential offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:13 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Arizona is getting back its former center.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 0
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)