Mar 9, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have been known to do different things with their off-ice training. They’ve hired a sleep doctor and even built a “mind room” for the players. One of those different techniques was hiring a sports psychologist so it figures that that’s found a way to backfire on them.
As The Canadian Press reports, former AC Milan sports psychologist Bruno Demichelis is suing Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini for wrongful dismissal and breach of contract.
Demichelis says the contract the two sides agreed on paid him a $400,000 signing bonus with $700,000 in salary for a time between July 2012 and June 2014. The Canucks claimed they informed him during the lockout that they were letting him go on January 31, 2013. Hey, times were tough and you have to cut costs somewhere, right?
This story isn’t without its funny coincidence though. Demichelis says in his suit against the team that his firing caused him mental distress. A sports psychologist being harmed mentally by a team has a total “meta” feel about it.
If this does go all the way to court I wonder if Keith Ballard winds up being a key witness thanks to how mentally tough he’s been in handling his trips in and out of coach Alain Vigneault’s doghouse.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:31 AM EDT
His Twitter feed teases “a big day” on Tuesday.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
Just a “wild night” for a Black Ace.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
Odd timing, but big news.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
Led by Patrice Bergeron, who scored a goal and was practically unbeatable in the faceoff circle.
Jun 17, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
Dennis Seidenberg: “It feels like sandpaper.”
Jun 17, 2013, 11:43 PM EDT
“It’s a low-chance game and a low-chance series,” he said.
Jun 17, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville said it was “definitely not good.”
Jun 17, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
He was a game-time decision for Game 3.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
A masterful performance by Boston.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Both are much-hyped forwards from Cole Harbour, Novia Scotia.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
He owns fifth place with 197 points.
Jun 17, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
Big results for his line with Tyler Seguin and Chris Kelly.
Jun 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Does that mean it could fall through?
Jun 17, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
Big (and surprising) loss for the Chicago Blackhawks.
Jun 17, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
Chris Mason’s amazing beard couldn’t mask lousy numbers.
Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Multiple sources expect buyouts for Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
23-year-old was the club’s second-round pick in 2008.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Former Canucks bench boss cashes in.
Jun 17, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Just five days after acquiring him from the Islanders.
Jun 17, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Interesting, given he’s probably going to get traded this summer.
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 9
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 2
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 44
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 36
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 77
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech 14
- Report: NHL has Seattle plan ready for Coyotes 64
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury