Mar 9, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Since Jan. 19, the Chicago Blackhawks took hockey fans not just in the Windy City but in all parts of the world on an extraordinary ride following the lockout.
On Friday, that ride that saw the Blackhawks go 24 games to begin the season without a regulation loss and a franchise best 11-game winning streak, came to an end with a 6-2 loss to the Colorado Avalanche.
Dating back to last March, the Blackhawks had actually gone 30 consecutive regular season games without a regulation defeat, making it the second longest streak of its kind in NHL history. The 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers’ record of 35 games without a regulation loss remains intact.
“We’re not happy we didn’t get two points but we’re certainly proud of the start we had,” defenseman Duncan Keith told the Chicago Tribune.
“It wasn’t easy playing that many games in a short period of time and doing what we did. We’re proud of it but it will be nice to move on now and look forward to Sunday’s game.”
The Blackhawks are now on a modest one-game losing skid, although they still lead the league with a 21-1-3 record and 45 points.
Behind the Blackhawks in the Western Conference standings are the Anaheim Ducks, winners tonight against Calgary.
The Blackhawks lead the Ducks – currently with an impressive 17-3-3 record – by eight points.
“We should be very proud of what we accomplished,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told the Chicago Daily Herald.
“It was a great accomplishment from start to finish. We found some different ways to win night in and night out. Everybody contributed to something that hadn’t been done.”
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)