Mar 9, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche entered Friday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks as one of the bottom dwellers in the NHL’s Western Conference.
They skated off the ice that same night as the only team needing just 60 minutes to beat the Blackhawks so far this season.
In fact, the Avalanche rolled to a convincing 6-2 victory over Chicago, which went 24 straight games without a regulation loss to start the 2013 campaign.
The Avalanche, with the win, moved two points ahead of the last-place Columbus Blue Jackets and a point ahead of the 14th-place Edmonton Oilers in the Western Conference standings.
The Avalanche host the San Jose Sharks Sunday.
“It’s a great confidence booster,” Avalanche center Matt Duchene told NHL.com.
“It shows that we can play with anybody in this League. It’s one of the best teams in the whole National Hockey League. What a special run they had. It was pretty cool to end it, that’s for sure. It’s pretty special.”
The Avalanche fell earlier in the week to Chicago, losing 3-2 on Wednesday, extending the Blackhawks’ historical streak.
The Avalanche held a one-goal lead heading into the third period of that game, but gave up two goals – a Jonathan Toews short-handed marker and then from Dan Carcillo with 50 seconds remaining in regulation – in the third period, resulting in the loss.
That seemed to be forgotten about when the final buzzer sounded Friday.
“We want to use this is a springboard now,” Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog told The Denver Post.
“We know at the level we can play at now, but we have to keep doing it and not get all happy over just one win. We need to win every game right now.”
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)