Mar 9, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche entered Friday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks as one of the bottom dwellers in the NHL’s Western Conference.
They skated off the ice that same night as the only team needing just 60 minutes to beat the Blackhawks so far this season.
In fact, the Avalanche rolled to a convincing 6-2 victory over Chicago, which went 24 straight games without a regulation loss to start the 2013 campaign.
The Avalanche, with the win, moved two points ahead of the last-place Columbus Blue Jackets and a point ahead of the 14th-place Edmonton Oilers in the Western Conference standings.
The Avalanche host the San Jose Sharks Sunday.
“It’s a great confidence booster,” Avalanche center Matt Duchene told NHL.com.
“It shows that we can play with anybody in this League. It’s one of the best teams in the whole National Hockey League. What a special run they had. It was pretty cool to end it, that’s for sure. It’s pretty special.”
The Avalanche fell earlier in the week to Chicago, losing 3-2 on Wednesday, extending the Blackhawks’ historical streak.
The Avalanche held a one-goal lead heading into the third period of that game, but gave up two goals – a Jonathan Toews short-handed marker and then from Dan Carcillo with 50 seconds remaining in regulation – in the third period, resulting in the loss.
That seemed to be forgotten about when the final buzzer sounded Friday.
“We want to use this is a springboard now,” Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog told The Denver Post.
“We know at the level we can play at now, but we have to keep doing it and not get all happy over just one win. We need to win every game right now.”
Jun 20, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
“If he sees the puck, he’s going to be almost impossible to beat.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
His middle name isn’t “Game Over.” We checked.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
It’s now 2-2 after an exciting 6-5 thriller.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
The Bruins won’t give up.
Jun 19, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
… And there were plenty of other close calls.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks would appreciate the cap space.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT
Michal Handzus scores first, Rich Peverley ties it.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The money part has been settled, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
In case you were worrying about another late scratch.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
The Swede wasn’t getting benched during playoff games, for one.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Tough timing for free agent Mason Raymond.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
37-year-old ‘tender ready to call it a career.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
That’s a picture of Mike Komisarek.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma considered to be a favorite for the position.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Which could be why they end up swapping coaches.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The players’ union and Board of Governors will vote near the end of the exhibition campaign.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Detroit could have quite the sports and entertainment district.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
His choice. Wasn’t required to go.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Canada last hosted in 2012.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
“He’s forechecked, done well in the battles as far as trying to come up with the puck, all the things we ask him to do.”
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 0
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 23
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 25
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming