Mar 9, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche entered Friday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks as one of the bottom dwellers in the NHL’s Western Conference.
They skated off the ice that same night as the only team needing just 60 minutes to beat the Blackhawks so far this season.
In fact, the Avalanche rolled to a convincing 6-2 victory over Chicago, which went 24 straight games without a regulation loss to start the 2013 campaign.
The Avalanche, with the win, moved two points ahead of the last-place Columbus Blue Jackets and a point ahead of the 14th-place Edmonton Oilers in the Western Conference standings.
The Avalanche host the San Jose Sharks Sunday.
“It’s a great confidence booster,” Avalanche center Matt Duchene told NHL.com.
“It shows that we can play with anybody in this League. It’s one of the best teams in the whole National Hockey League. What a special run they had. It was pretty cool to end it, that’s for sure. It’s pretty special.”
The Avalanche fell earlier in the week to Chicago, losing 3-2 on Wednesday, extending the Blackhawks’ historical streak.
The Avalanche held a one-goal lead heading into the third period of that game, but gave up two goals – a Jonathan Toews short-handed marker and then from Dan Carcillo with 50 seconds remaining in regulation – in the third period, resulting in the loss.
That seemed to be forgotten about when the final buzzer sounded Friday.
“We want to use this is a springboard now,” Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog told The Denver Post.
“We know at the level we can play at now, but we have to keep doing it and not get all happy over just one win. We need to win every game right now.”
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
He’s expected to play against Ottawa this afternoon.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
The holiday roster freeze will keep him with Washington for at least one more week.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Right when he was starting to rebound…
Dec 21, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
His return isn’t imminent, but he’s making progress.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
It’s believed that he was hurt on Thursday.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
It’s a two-year deal.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
He leads American-born goaltenders in GAA and save percentage.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
They’ll preview the Winter Classic tonight.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins also raised the issue with the officials.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
The latest round in one of the league’s great rivalries.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Winnipeg beat Florida 5-2.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
The Rangers lost to the Islanders 5-3 on Friday.
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 1
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 17
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 10
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)