Mar 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
After Thursday night’s 5-2 loss to Dallas — the fourth time this year they’ve allowed five or more goals in a defeat — Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter minced no words in explaining what needed improvement.
“Giving up four goals a game, you can’t win,” he told LA Kings Insider. “We need better goaltending.”
The loss brought Quick’s numbers on the year to 7-7-2 with a 2.59 GAA and .895 save percentage.
When asked again about the goaltending — this time, if he’s surprised it’s still an issue 22 games into the season — Sutter kept to his message.
“I’m saying we didn’t get good enough goaltending tonight,” he replied.
Quick wasn’t offering much explanation following the game — “I didn’t stop them, and usually when you don’t stop the pucks, they go in the net,” he said — and wasn’t completely at fault for the loss, as Sutter said the team also needed to be better defensively.
But that’s not diminishing the fact L.A. now has the NHL’s eighth-worst save percentage (.896), something else Sutter brought up after the Dallas game.
“It’s a stat that tells the truth,” he said. “That’s one stat that doesn’t lie, right? [Kari] Lehtonen tonight was at about a .940 or so. That’s a stat that always holds true. Goals against, save percentage — it’s a big thing.”
It’s fair to say that, if it weren’t for some solid play from Jonathan Bernier (5-1-0 this year with a .916 save percentage and 1.93 GAA), the Kings’ goaltending situation would be a concern.
But it’s hard to sayanything is a concern, because L.A. is on a roll. They’ve won seven of nine and sit fifth in the Western Conference, leading many to believe Sutter isn’t really critiquing the “goaltending” — he’s critiquing Quick.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)