Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Thursday night as the Stars beat the Kings 5-2 on the strength of four points — two goals and two assists — from Jagr and Benn.
“We couldn’t handle the Benn line,” Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said following the game. “[We] had nobody to answer the checking responsibly.”
Without much fanfare, the Benn-Jagr-Loui Eriksson line has been coming on lately. The trio has combined for 12 points over the last five games and the Stars have collected seven of a possible 10 points, putting them seventh in the Western Conference.
What’s more, Jagr said he and Benn are just starting to figure each other out.
“I think we are probably at 30 percent of where we can play. I think we’ve got a long way. We can get a lot better,” Jagr told Stars Inside Edge. “Obviously, I play a different style of the game than he’s probably used to. It’s tough for me at my age to change. I cannot dump and chase. I’m not fast for that, so I like to keep the pucks. He has to a little bit adjust.
“I know it’s not his game, but so far he’s doing a good job.”
At 41, Jagr leads the Stars in scoring (with 17 points), one more point than his 23-year-old running mate.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)