Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Thursday night as the Stars beat the Kings 5-2 on the strength of four points — two goals and two assists — from Jagr and Benn.
“We couldn’t handle the Benn line,” Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said following the game. “[We] had nobody to answer the checking responsibly.”
Without much fanfare, the Benn-Jagr-Loui Eriksson line has been coming on lately. The trio has combined for 12 points over the last five games and the Stars have collected seven of a possible 10 points, putting them seventh in the Western Conference.
What’s more, Jagr said he and Benn are just starting to figure each other out.
“I think we are probably at 30 percent of where we can play. I think we’ve got a long way. We can get a lot better,” Jagr told Stars Inside Edge. “Obviously, I play a different style of the game than he’s probably used to. It’s tough for me at my age to change. I cannot dump and chase. I’m not fast for that, so I like to keep the pucks. He has to a little bit adjust.
“I know it’s not his game, but so far he’s doing a good job.”
At 41, Jagr leads the Stars in scoring (with 17 points), one more point than his 23-year-old running mate.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 2
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 30
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)