Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Thursday night as the Stars beat the Kings 5-2 on the strength of four points — two goals and two assists — from Jagr and Benn.
“We couldn’t handle the Benn line,” Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said following the game. “[We] had nobody to answer the checking responsibly.”
Without much fanfare, the Benn-Jagr-Loui Eriksson line has been coming on lately. The trio has combined for 12 points over the last five games and the Stars have collected seven of a possible 10 points, putting them seventh in the Western Conference.
What’s more, Jagr said he and Benn are just starting to figure each other out.
“I think we are probably at 30 percent of where we can play. I think we’ve got a long way. We can get a lot better,” Jagr told Stars Inside Edge. “Obviously, I play a different style of the game than he’s probably used to. It’s tough for me at my age to change. I cannot dump and chase. I’m not fast for that, so I like to keep the pucks. He has to a little bit adjust.
“I know it’s not his game, but so far he’s doing a good job.”
At 41, Jagr leads the Stars in scoring (with 17 points), one more point than his 23-year-old running mate.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)