Mar 8, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
That was the story out of Los Angeles on Thursday night as the Stars beat the Kings 5-2 on the strength of four points — two goals and two assists — from Jagr and Benn.
“We couldn’t handle the Benn line,” Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said following the game. “[We] had nobody to answer the checking responsibly.”
Without much fanfare, the Benn-Jagr-Loui Eriksson line has been coming on lately. The trio has combined for 12 points over the last five games and the Stars have collected seven of a possible 10 points, putting them seventh in the Western Conference.
What’s more, Jagr said he and Benn are just starting to figure each other out.
“I think we are probably at 30 percent of where we can play. I think we’ve got a long way. We can get a lot better,” Jagr told Stars Inside Edge. “Obviously, I play a different style of the game than he’s probably used to. It’s tough for me at my age to change. I cannot dump and chase. I’m not fast for that, so I like to keep the pucks. He has to a little bit adjust.
“I know it’s not his game, but so far he’s doing a good job.”
At 41, Jagr leads the Stars in scoring (with 17 points), one more point than his 23-year-old running mate.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)