Suter on first game in Nashville: ‘It’s going to (stink)’

Mar 8, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT

Suter Wild Preds

Minnesota Wild defenseman Ryan Suter shrugged off his first game against the Nashville Predators on Jan. 22, 2013.

“It wasn’t that big of a deal,” Suter said at the time. “Obviously the media makes it more than it is.”

He might not think it’s a big deal to play against the team he spent the first seven seasons of his career with, but that contest was in Minnesota. It will be another story entirely when he actually has to play in Nashville on Saturday and face an arena full of the Predators’ fans for the first time.

“Have I ever had anything like what’s going to probably happen? Probably not,” Suter told The Tennessean. “It’s going to (stink), and I wish the fans knew … well, I know they know how much I enjoyed my time there.

“But it’s just part of the business. I mean, you have to make decisions for yourself and for your family.”

Suter signed a 13-year, $98 million deal with Minnesota over the summer, a move Predators GM David Poile “will never, ever understand.” Suter admitted that he cried when he told Poile that he was leaving.

“He drafted me, he was my GM, he was all I knew,” Suter said. “In the NHL he gave me all the opportunities. Through the highs and lows, he stuck with me, and I felt like I was letting him down.”

Suter will have to work through the booing for the Wild’s sake. Minnesota and Nashville both need every point they can get right now as they try to claw their way into the playoffs.

Latest Posts
  1. Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL

Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Washington Capitals v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.

2. With 3-on-3 overtime, only two out of 16 AHL games have gone to shootout

Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.

3. BizNasty signs with the Devils (the ones in Wales)

Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.

4. Goalie nods: Gibson returns for Anaheim

Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

All the news and notes from the blue paint…

5. Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”

6. Roy ‘not nervous about Xs and Os,’ says slumping Avs need to be better individually

Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Patrick Roy Patrick Roy

“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”

7. Hextall: ‘There’s not a lot out there’ to bolster depleted Flyers defense

Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Flyers Draft Hockey AP

“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”

8. Dallas getting greener on D, but Ruff says issues are on him

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

Lindy Ruff Lindy Ruff

“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”

9. Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.

10. Video: Hitch hammers the Blues: ‘This is a wake-up call’

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Getty Images

“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”

11. Report: Granlund extension in the works

Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT

Mikael Granlund #64 of the Minnesota Wild skates against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on February 1, 2013 in Anaheim, California.
(January 31, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.

12. PHT Morning Skate: Ovechkin has a mishap while curling

Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 7.23.57 AM

With time off in Calgary, players participate in team building event.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive