Suter on first game in Nashville: ‘It’s going to (stink)’

Mar 8, 2013, 8:01 AM EST

Suter Wild Preds

Minnesota Wild defenseman Ryan Suter shrugged off his first game against the Nashville Predators on Jan. 22, 2013.

“It wasn’t that big of a deal,” Suter said at the time. “Obviously the media makes it more than it is.”

He might not think it’s a big deal to play against the team he spent the first seven seasons of his career with, but that contest was in Minnesota. It will be another story entirely when he actually has to play in Nashville on Saturday and face an arena full of the Predators’ fans for the first time.

“Have I ever had anything like what’s going to probably happen? Probably not,” Suter told The Tennessean. “It’s going to (stink), and I wish the fans knew … well, I know they know how much I enjoyed my time there.

“But it’s just part of the business. I mean, you have to make decisions for yourself and for your family.”

Suter signed a 13-year, $98 million deal with Minnesota over the summer, a move Predators GM David Poile “will never, ever understand.” Suter admitted that he cried when he told Poile that he was leaving.

“He drafted me, he was my GM, he was all I knew,” Suter said. “In the NHL he gave me all the opportunities. Through the highs and lows, he stuck with me, and I felt like I was letting him down.”

Suter will have to work through the booing for the Wild’s sake. Minnesota and Nashville both need every point they can get right now as they try to claw their way into the playoffs.

Latest Posts
  1. Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST

MartinDaley

Also, for causing “significant injury.”

2. NHL GMs to address emergency goalie rule following Florida incident

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya Getty Images

“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”

3. Julien talks up Bergeron as next Bruins captain

Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST

patricebergerongetty Getty Images

“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”

4. Get your game notes: Rangers at Wings, Rivalry Night

Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyzogi1mdrmnjbmndc0odgwmzmyyzm5mmi3zdzjodlj AP

An Original Six matchup at the Joe.

5. Season over? Clarkson out 4-6 weeks with torn oblique muscle

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST

New Jersey Devils v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.

6. TVR to play this weekend for Rockford (AHL)

Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST

Trevor van Riemsdyk Getty Images

‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.

7. Wings clear Zetterberg (upper body) to face Rangers

Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.

8. Boyle, Tanguay to play in 1,000th NHL games tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Colorado Avalanche v New York Rangers Getty Images

Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.

9. Anyone notice the Preds are slumping?

Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST

Nashville Predators v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Just two wins in their last eight.

10. Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit

Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST

Trevor Daley, Matt Martin Trevor Daley, Matt Martin

Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.

11. After ‘nightmare’ start for Markstrom, Canucks face goaltending conundrum

Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST

Jacob Markstrom AP

“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”

Reactions from NHL trade deadline