Mar 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Goaltender Jacob Markstrom is just 23 years old, but when he hangs up his skates, he might remember Thursday’s 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals as the worst night of his NHL career.
Markstrom faced just two shots and he couldn’t stop either of them before being pulled 3:10 minutes into the game.
After the contest, Panthers coach Kevin Dineen didn’t sugarcoat his assessment of what happened.
“I don’t like to hang out anybody to dry but obviously I don’t think Jacob Markstrom was ready to play tonight,” Dineen said, according to the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
Markstrom stopped 30 shots in a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg that night, but he was down on himself after Thursday’s blowout defeat.
“There’s no excuse for all of us,” Markstrom said in a South Florida Sun-Sentinel report. “It was terrible and I feel like I let the team down.”
You can view the two goals Markstrom allowed below and decide for yourself if they were preventable goals:
Of course, it’s not like Scott Clemmensen could contain the Washington Capitals either. It remains to be seen who the Panthers will start in Friday’s game against the Jets.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 87
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)