Mar 8, 2013, 6:43 PM EST
New York Islanders assistant coach Brent Thompson has been suspended two games for “inappropriate and abusive comments he directed at the on-ice officials” Thursday evening in a game against the Rangers.
What exactly Thompson said wasn’t shared by the league (obviously). But the Islanders were definitely upset during and after the 2-1 overtime loss — a game in which they didn’t receive a single power play.
“If that’s the way [the referee] wants to call the game, that’s the way he calls the game,” head coach Jack Capuano said, per the New York Post. “I feel bad for our guys because they worked hard tonight and they deserved at least one or two power plays. So it [stinks], but there’s nothing you can do about it.”
According to the Post, Thompson received a “team staff” misconduct penalty for letting his feelings be known to the referees after Rangers forward Marian Gaborik scored the overtime winner (on a Rangers power-play no less).
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)