Mar 8, 2013, 6:12 PM EST
In the eight games David Booth has played since returning from a groin injury that kept him out the first part of the season, he’s been credited with 20 shots.
Not one of those shots has gone in.
And with the Canucks on a three-game winless streak — they lost 2-1 in overtime last night in Columbus — the lack of goals is really starting to get to him.
“It’s very frustrating,” Booth said, per The Province. “Especially when the games are overtime losses or losing by a goal. It’s really frustrating. It’s something where I have to do a better job. I can’t make excuses. It’s not good enough.
“I really have to bear down, get to the front of the net. The dirty goals are scored there, and that’s how I get most of my goals.”
Yeah, there’s probably a bear joke to be made somewhere there. The fact Booth has been best known for his hunting exploits since arriving in a trade with the Panthers in late 2011 says a lot.
But head coach Alain Vigneault recognizes that the 28-year-old winger is getting chances: “This work is going to pay off and it will soon.”
Based on the advanced stats, Booth has been performing, if not producing, quite well. In theory, the dam is ready to burst. But goals, not Corsi numbers, are what count, and the Canucks aren’t putting enough pucks in the net lately.
Vancouver is in St. Paul for a big Northwest Division game Sunday. In fact, it’s possible the Wild could be in a position to tie the Canucks for first in the division with a regulation win. Minnesota is currently four points back of the Canucks, with a game in hand. The Wild play tomorrow in Nashville.
PS — If you’re wondering which NHL forward has the most shots without a goal, that would be San Jose’s Ryane Clowe, who’s oh-for-47.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)