Mar 8, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
In the eight games David Booth has played since returning from a groin injury that kept him out the first part of the season, he’s been credited with 20 shots.
Not one of those shots has gone in.
And with the Canucks on a three-game winless streak — they lost 2-1 in overtime last night in Columbus — the lack of goals is really starting to get to him.
“It’s very frustrating,” Booth said, per The Province. “Especially when the games are overtime losses or losing by a goal. It’s really frustrating. It’s something where I have to do a better job. I can’t make excuses. It’s not good enough.
“I really have to bear down, get to the front of the net. The dirty goals are scored there, and that’s how I get most of my goals.”
Yeah, there’s probably a bear joke to be made somewhere there. The fact Booth has been best known for his hunting exploits since arriving in a trade with the Panthers in late 2011 says a lot.
But head coach Alain Vigneault recognizes that the 28-year-old winger is getting chances: “This work is going to pay off and it will soon.”
Based on the advanced stats, Booth has been performing, if not producing, quite well. In theory, the dam is ready to burst. But goals, not Corsi numbers, are what count, and the Canucks aren’t putting enough pucks in the net lately.
Vancouver is in St. Paul for a big Northwest Division game Sunday. In fact, it’s possible the Wild could be in a position to tie the Canucks for first in the division with a regulation win. Minnesota is currently four points back of the Canucks, with a game in hand. The Wild play tomorrow in Nashville.
PS — If you’re wondering which NHL forward has the most shots without a goal, that would be San Jose’s Ryane Clowe, who’s oh-for-47.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)