Mar 8, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks fan Steven Schucker has given up hockey for the 2013 season, according to a story in the Chicago Tribune.
Yes, this form of protest is because of the lockout. And yes, it’s despite the fact the Chicago Blackhawks are on a historical run to begin the season, going undefeated in regulation through the first 24 games.
“You have an NHL commissioner who doesn’t care about his sport and it got to the point it just turned me off hockey,” Schucker told the Chicago Tribune on Thursday.
“I can’t support watching a sport run by someone like that. I love the Hawks. My issue is with the principle of what’s going on with the sport. It would be easy for me to drop my gloves and say, ‘OK, I’ll go back and watch.’ But I’m a man who believes in standing by my principle, tough as it is to do this year.”
The lockout clearly had fans outraged, however it seems most have forgiven those involved with the work stoppage.
As per the NHL’s public relations department, attendance is on the rise, as are television ratings.
The Blackhawks’ current run – they came into Friday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche needing just five games short of the all-time record of 35 games without a regulation loss, held by the 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers – has only helped drive television ratings.
“I picked the wrong year not to watch the Hawks,” Schucker told the Tribune.
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
May 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Lundqvist made 30 saves as New York edged Washington 3-2 in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
The highlight-reel goal pulls the Caps to within one.
May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He suffered a lower body injury on Friday.
May 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Paperwork filed for environmental study.
May 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
One of four first period saves made by the Rangers’ starter.
May 2, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Opened the scoring 38 seconds in.
May 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
May 2, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut in April.
May 2, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
He didn’t play a shift in the third period of Thursday’s loss.
May 2, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
How a conversation in Vegas changed the forward’s game.
May 2, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Been through adversity before this season.
May 2, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)