Mar 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Nothing lasts forever.
Friday, the Chicago Blackhawks historic streak without a regulation loss to begin the 2013 season came to an end at 24 games. Their franchise-best 11-game winning streak also concluded.
The Colorado Avalanche upset Chicago’s remarkable run with a 6-2 victory.
Jonathan Toews opened the scoring, giving Chicago a 1-0 lead less than six minutes into the first period.
But it was all Colorado after that.
Paul Stastny evened the score at 1-1 late in the first period. The second period was all Colorado.
The Avalanche scored four times in less than 10 minutes into the middle frame, putting the Blackhawks streak in jeopardy.
The two teams traded goals in the third period.
It is Chicago’s first regulation loss since March 25 of 2012 – almost an entire calendar year, although the offseason and a lockout also contributed to the span between losses.
Since last March, the Blackhawks had gone 30 games without a regulation loss. That streak is the second longest in National Hockey League history.
The 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers still hold that record, at 35 games.
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, who played on that record-setting Philadelphia team, had high praise for the Blackhawks.
“It’s probably a more difficult task now because of the parity in the League,” Holmgren recently told NHL.com.
“There were teams [in 1979-80] that weren’t great. The parity in the League today makes it very difficult to do what they’re doing and makes it more incredible than anything.
“It’s a different era. I think what they’ve done … it’s a more difficult thing to do today.”
Chicago’s streak had recently drawn a debate about which team was on a more impressive run – the Blackhawks, who at the time had 23 straight games without a regulation loss this season, or the Miami Heat’s then 15-game winning streak.
Just an FYI: the Heat won Friday, making it 17 straight victories for them.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
“We’re so proud of our city for showing that hockey is such a big deal here.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
“This is something I’ll remember for a very long time.”
Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs
Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
“I remember them being quiet in the end when we won.”
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)