Mar 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
Nothing lasts forever.
Friday, the Chicago Blackhawks historic streak without a regulation loss to begin the 2013 season came to an end at 24 games. Their franchise-best 11-game winning streak also concluded.
The Colorado Avalanche upset Chicago’s remarkable run with a 6-2 victory.
Jonathan Toews opened the scoring, giving Chicago a 1-0 lead less than six minutes into the first period.
But it was all Colorado after that.
Paul Stastny evened the score at 1-1 late in the first period. The second period was all Colorado.
The Avalanche scored four times in less than 10 minutes into the middle frame, putting the Blackhawks streak in jeopardy.
The two teams traded goals in the third period.
It is Chicago’s first regulation loss since March 25 of 2012 – almost an entire calendar year, although the offseason and a lockout also contributed to the span between losses.
Since last March, the Blackhawks had gone 30 games without a regulation loss. That streak is the second longest in National Hockey League history.
The 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers still hold that record, at 35 games.
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, who played on that record-setting Philadelphia team, had high praise for the Blackhawks.
“It’s probably a more difficult task now because of the parity in the League,” Holmgren recently told NHL.com.
“There were teams [in 1979-80] that weren’t great. The parity in the League today makes it very difficult to do what they’re doing and makes it more incredible than anything.
“It’s a different era. I think what they’ve done … it’s a more difficult thing to do today.”
Chicago’s streak had recently drawn a debate about which team was on a more impressive run – the Blackhawks, who at the time had 23 straight games without a regulation loss this season, or the Miami Heat’s then 15-game winning streak.
Just an FYI: the Heat won Friday, making it 17 straight victories for them.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)