Mar 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Ducks have locked up their captain through 2021.
Getzlaf will be paid a whopping $66 million over the course of the deal, with an average annual cap hit of $8.25 million.
More contract details: 1) It contains a no-movement clause that kicks in immediately. 2) The most salary he’ll earn in one season is $9.25 million. 3) There’s a $3 million signing bonus in the last year of the deal.
“We are very happy to have Ryan committed to this franchise long-term,” said Ducks GM Bob Murray. “He has often expressed his interest to stay in Anaheim for his entire career, a goal we share. He is a leader, a proven winner, and possesses a skill set that’s hard to find.
“This is a great day for the Ducks.”
Getzlaf, 27, won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 and inherited the team captaincy from Scott Niedermayer in 2010.
He currently leads the Ducks in scoring, with 27 points in 22 games, and sits tied for ninth overall in the league.
His signing is huge news for both the Anaheim organization and the rest of the NHL. All eyes were on Orange County this season as the Ducks faced huge decisions with a pair of UFAs — Getzlaf, and running mate Corey Perry.
In 2008, the two signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals and it could be argued that Perry’s of equal value — if not more — than Getzlaf.
Perry’s emerged as one of the NHL’s premier goalscorers over the last two years, racing up 87 all told while capturing both the Maurice Richard and Hart Trophies in 2010-11.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)