Mar 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Ducks have locked up their captain through 2021.
Getzlaf will be paid a whopping $66 million over the course of the deal, with an average annual cap hit of $8.25 million.
More contract details: 1) It contains a no-movement clause that kicks in immediately. 2) The most salary he’ll earn in one season is $9.25 million. 3) There’s a $3 million signing bonus in the last year of the deal.
“We are very happy to have Ryan committed to this franchise long-term,” said Ducks GM Bob Murray. “He has often expressed his interest to stay in Anaheim for his entire career, a goal we share. He is a leader, a proven winner, and possesses a skill set that’s hard to find.
“This is a great day for the Ducks.”
Getzlaf, 27, won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 and inherited the team captaincy from Scott Niedermayer in 2010.
He currently leads the Ducks in scoring, with 27 points in 22 games, and sits tied for ninth overall in the league.
His signing is huge news for both the Anaheim organization and the rest of the NHL. All eyes were on Orange County this season as the Ducks faced huge decisions with a pair of UFAs — Getzlaf, and running mate Corey Perry.
In 2008, the two signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals and it could be argued that Perry’s of equal value — if not more — than Getzlaf.
Perry’s emerged as one of the NHL’s premier goalscorers over the last two years, racing up 87 all told while capturing both the Maurice Richard and Hart Trophies in 2010-11.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)