Mar 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Ducks have locked up their captain through 2021.
Getzlaf will be paid a whopping $66 million over the course of the deal, with an average annual cap hit of $8.25 million.
More contract details: 1) It contains a no-movement clause that kicks in immediately. 2) The most salary he’ll earn in one season is $9.25 million. 3) There’s a $3 million signing bonus in the last year of the deal.
“We are very happy to have Ryan committed to this franchise long-term,” said Ducks GM Bob Murray. “He has often expressed his interest to stay in Anaheim for his entire career, a goal we share. He is a leader, a proven winner, and possesses a skill set that’s hard to find.
“This is a great day for the Ducks.”
Getzlaf, 27, won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 and inherited the team captaincy from Scott Niedermayer in 2010.
He currently leads the Ducks in scoring, with 27 points in 22 games, and sits tied for ninth overall in the league.
His signing is huge news for both the Anaheim organization and the rest of the NHL. All eyes were on Orange County this season as the Ducks faced huge decisions with a pair of UFAs — Getzlaf, and running mate Corey Perry.
In 2008, the two signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals and it could be argued that Perry’s of equal value — if not more — than Getzlaf.
Perry’s emerged as one of the NHL’s premier goalscorers over the last two years, racing up 87 all told while capturing both the Maurice Richard and Hart Trophies in 2010-11.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)