Mar 8, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
The Ducks have locked up their captain through 2021.
Getzlaf will be paid a whopping $66 million over the course of the deal, with an average annual cap hit of $8.25 million.
More contract details: 1) It contains a no-movement clause that kicks in immediately. 2) The most salary he’ll earn in one season is $9.25 million. 3) There’s a $3 million signing bonus in the last year of the deal.
“We are very happy to have Ryan committed to this franchise long-term,” said Ducks GM Bob Murray. “He has often expressed his interest to stay in Anaheim for his entire career, a goal we share. He is a leader, a proven winner, and possesses a skill set that’s hard to find.
“This is a great day for the Ducks.”
Getzlaf, 27, won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 and inherited the team captaincy from Scott Niedermayer in 2010.
He currently leads the Ducks in scoring, with 27 points in 22 games, and sits tied for ninth overall in the league.
His signing is huge news for both the Anaheim organization and the rest of the NHL. All eyes were on Orange County this season as the Ducks faced huge decisions with a pair of UFAs — Getzlaf, and running mate Corey Perry.
In 2008, the two signed matching five-year, $26.25 million deals and it could be argued that Perry’s of equal value — if not more — than Getzlaf.
Perry’s emerged as one of the NHL’s premier goalscorers over the last two years, racing up 87 all told while capturing both the Maurice Richard and Hart Trophies in 2010-11.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5