Mar 7, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Corey Perry is a pending unrestricted free agent and the Ducks don’t want to watch the 2011 Hart Trophy winner walk away for nothing.
I get that.
Especially since Anaheim lost Justin Schultz for nothing last summer.
But the Ducks are also 16-3-3, second in the NHL behind the undefeated-in-regulation Chicago Blackhawks. Anaheim itself has only lost once in regulation its last 12 games.
There’s additional depth down the middle with Nick Bonino. There’s mobility and experience on the back end. And Jonas Hiller is starting to rediscover his form in goal after a rough start, during which Viktor Fasth came out of nowhere to win his first eight starts.
True, some people in the advanced-statistics community think the Ducks are an illusion, but doesn’t the organization owe it to the fans to find out for real?
The whole idea of putting together an NHL team is to take a shot at the Stanley Cup. Perry has helped the Ducks to one before. If they trade him as a rental, they’ll almost definitely be a weaker team heading into the postseason.
Unless things change dramatically between now and April 3 — or maybe unless general manager Bob Murray doesn’t believe the Ducks are for real either — how would trading Perry make sense?
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)