Mar 7, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Ottawa Senators defenseman Chris Phillips has played 14 NHL seasons with a visor. The one season he didn’t use one – 1998 – was the same year he took a puck to the eye.
And, just like that, he went back to the visor, an obligatory piece of equipment during his junior days in the Western Hockey League.
“Once was enough and that was a pretty good one,” said Phillips told the Ottawa Sun on Wednesday.
“It was pretty scary at that time. I remember it like it was yesterday. I couldn’t see anything out of my eye. I asked the doctor if I was going to be able to play again (and) he basically couldn’t answer me.”
The debate about whether visors should be mandatory in the NHL has been a hot topic in the last two days.
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal was the latest victim to an eye injury. He took a puck to the eye Tuesday night, and is out of the Rangers lineup indefinitely. The doctors are optimistic that he can make a full recovery from the injury.
Staal was not wearing a visor.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly emphasized the league’s stance that it wants visors to be mandatory.
The NHL Players’ Association, on the other hand, rejects the idea of mandatory visors.
Former player Mathieu Schneider, now the special assistant to the execution director of the players union said in a statement: “The players support visor use being a matter of individual choice.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)