Mar 7, 2013, 12:46 AM EDT
Jonathan Toews has shown numerous times during his NHL career to be a clutch player.
He demonstrated that again Wednesday against the Colorado Avalanche. The Blackhawks captain beat Colorado’s 22-year-old center Ryan O’Reilly to the outside, and then, cutting back to the net, tucked the puck beyond the right pad of Semyon Varlamov, off the post and in the net. The goal, a short-handed marker, tied the game 2-2 early in the third period.
With that goal, and the winner from Dan Carcillo in the final minute of the third period, the Blackhawks earned a 3-2 win over the Avalanche and extended their streak to 24 games without a regulation loss to begin the regular season.
“That one reminded me of Johnny’s shorty up in Vamcouver in Game 7,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago, referring to the goal Toews scored against the Canucks that sent the deciding game of the 2011 Western Conference quarter-final to overtime.
“(Short-handed goals) can be a big boost for your team and deflating for the opponent. When you get scored on your power play, it hurts.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)