Mar 7, 2013, 12:46 AM EST
Jonathan Toews has shown numerous times during his NHL career to be a clutch player.
He demonstrated that again Wednesday against the Colorado Avalanche. The Blackhawks captain beat Colorado’s 22-year-old center Ryan O’Reilly to the outside, and then, cutting back to the net, tucked the puck beyond the right pad of Semyon Varlamov, off the post and in the net. The goal, a short-handed marker, tied the game 2-2 early in the third period.
With that goal, and the winner from Dan Carcillo in the final minute of the third period, the Blackhawks earned a 3-2 win over the Avalanche and extended their streak to 24 games without a regulation loss to begin the regular season.
“That one reminded me of Johnny’s shorty up in Vamcouver in Game 7,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago, referring to the goal Toews scored against the Canucks that sent the deciding game of the 2011 Western Conference quarter-final to overtime.
“(Short-handed goals) can be a big boost for your team and deflating for the opponent. When you get scored on your power play, it hurts.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)