Mar 7, 2013, 12:46 AM EST
Jonathan Toews has shown numerous times during his NHL career to be a clutch player.
He demonstrated that again Wednesday against the Colorado Avalanche. The Blackhawks captain beat Colorado’s 22-year-old center Ryan O’Reilly to the outside, and then, cutting back to the net, tucked the puck beyond the right pad of Semyon Varlamov, off the post and in the net. The goal, a short-handed marker, tied the game 2-2 early in the third period.
With that goal, and the winner from Dan Carcillo in the final minute of the third period, the Blackhawks earned a 3-2 win over the Avalanche and extended their streak to 24 games without a regulation loss to begin the regular season.
“That one reminded me of Johnny’s shorty up in Vamcouver in Game 7,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago, referring to the goal Toews scored against the Canucks that sent the deciding game of the 2011 Western Conference quarter-final to overtime.
“(Short-handed goals) can be a big boost for your team and deflating for the opponent. When you get scored on your power play, it hurts.”
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)