Mar 7, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
Some good news out of Ottawa on Thursday — Senators forward David Dziurzynski is reportedly feeling better after getting knocked out and suffering a concussion during a fight with Toronto’s Frazer McLaren on Wednesday night.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) March 7, 2013
Let’s face it, Dziurzynski, who is okay today, didn’t do a good job picking opponents. Debate staged fighting all you want. #Sens
— Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) March 7, 2013
Just 26 seconds into last night’s Battle of Ontario, Dziurzynski fought McLaren in what was the Ottawa rookie’s first-ever NHL fight:
McLaren tried to explain his rationale for the scrap after the game.
“We had a flat start last game. I was just trying to get us going early,” McLaren told the Globe and Mail. “I asked [Dziurzynski if he wanted to fight] and actually he said no and so I didn’t think we were going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff when the puck dropped.
“He’s a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there. It was a lucky punch. It happens sometimes.”
Dziurzynski left the contest following the game and didn’t return.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)