Mar 7, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
Some good news out of Ottawa on Thursday — Senators forward David Dziurzynski is reportedly feeling better after getting knocked out and suffering a concussion during a fight with Toronto’s Frazer McLaren on Wednesday night.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) March 7, 2013
Let’s face it, Dziurzynski, who is okay today, didn’t do a good job picking opponents. Debate staged fighting all you want. #Sens
— Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) March 7, 2013
Just 26 seconds into last night’s Battle of Ontario, Dziurzynski fought McLaren in what was the Ottawa rookie’s first-ever NHL fight:
McLaren tried to explain his rationale for the scrap after the game.
“We had a flat start last game. I was just trying to get us going early,” McLaren told the Globe and Mail. “I asked [Dziurzynski if he wanted to fight] and actually he said no and so I didn’t think we were going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff when the puck dropped.
“He’s a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there. It was a lucky punch. It happens sometimes.”
Dziurzynski left the contest following the game and didn’t return.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)