Mar 7, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
Some good news out of Ottawa on Thursday — Senators forward David Dziurzynski is reportedly feeling better after getting knocked out and suffering a concussion during a fight with Toronto’s Frazer McLaren on Wednesday night.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) March 7, 2013
Let’s face it, Dziurzynski, who is okay today, didn’t do a good job picking opponents. Debate staged fighting all you want. #Sens
— Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) March 7, 2013
Just 26 seconds into last night’s Battle of Ontario, Dziurzynski fought McLaren in what was the Ottawa rookie’s first-ever NHL fight:
McLaren tried to explain his rationale for the scrap after the game.
“We had a flat start last game. I was just trying to get us going early,” McLaren told the Globe and Mail. “I asked [Dziurzynski if he wanted to fight] and actually he said no and so I didn’t think we were going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff when the puck dropped.
“He’s a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there. It was a lucky punch. It happens sometimes.”
Dziurzynski left the contest following the game and didn’t return.
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 0
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 7
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 7
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Panthers’ playoff hopes take massive blow vs. Lightning 8
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)