Mar 7, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
Some good news out of Ottawa on Thursday — Senators forward David Dziurzynski is reportedly feeling better after getting knocked out and suffering a concussion during a fight with Toronto’s Frazer McLaren on Wednesday night.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) March 7, 2013
Let’s face it, Dziurzynski, who is okay today, didn’t do a good job picking opponents. Debate staged fighting all you want. #Sens
— Bruce Garrioch (@SunGarrioch) March 7, 2013
Just 26 seconds into last night’s Battle of Ontario, Dziurzynski fought McLaren in what was the Ottawa rookie’s first-ever NHL fight:
McLaren tried to explain his rationale for the scrap after the game.
“We had a flat start last game. I was just trying to get us going early,” McLaren told the Globe and Mail. “I asked [Dziurzynski if he wanted to fight] and actually he said no and so I didn’t think we were going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff when the puck dropped.
“He’s a big guy and he actually gave me a few good ones early there. It was a lucky punch. It happens sometimes.”
Dziurzynski left the contest following the game and didn’t return.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)