Mar 7, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
Mats Zuccarello’s future with the Rangers may have hit a snag.
That’s the word out of New York on Thursday as the New York Post reports Zuccarello, the 25-year-old Norwegian forward currently with KHL Magnitogorsk, might have issues with rejoining his former club after the Blueshirts claimed Roman Hamrlik off waivers from Washington.
Here’s more, from the Post’s Larry Brooks:
Hamrlik represents the 49th player under contract in the organization, one under the league maximum. Adding Zuccarello, the restricted free agent whose Magnitogorsk Metallurg KHL team was eliminated from the the playoffs on Tuesday, would severely restrict the Rangers’ options approaching the April 3 trade deadline.
General manager Glen Sather told The Post last week that he would reach out to Zuccarello at the conclusion of his season, but the club has not presented the winger with a formal offer despite having had informal discussions on the matter with agent Don Meehan.
Zuccarello is under a two-year contract that contains an NHL out clause after this season. The Blueshirts would therefore have to extend the 25-year-old a one-way offer through at least next season in order to induce him to leave Russia.
Zuccarello was with the Rangers from 2010-12 before jumping to the KHL last May.
His playing time under John Tortorella evaporated from year one to year two. After a moderately successful first season in New York — 6G-17A-23PTS in 42 games — Zuccarello only appeared in 10 games last year, spending most of the season with AHL Connecticut, where he produced at a point-a-game clip.
The 5-foot-7, 180-pound winger scored 28 points in 44 games for Magnitogorsk this season and could spark the Rangers offense, currently sitting 20th in goals per game (2.53) and 24th in power play effectiveness (14.7 percent).
Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
They still might avoid the ruling though.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Sunny Mehta wrote two books on the card game, but he’s turned his attention to advanced statistics in sports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
His relationship with Panthers GM Dale Tallon made a big difference.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Will Los Angeles regret opting against a buyout?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Taking a look at the 2014 champions on Friday.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)