Mar 7, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
Mats Zuccarello’s future with the Rangers may have hit a snag.
That’s the word out of New York on Thursday as the New York Post reports Zuccarello, the 25-year-old Norwegian forward currently with KHL Magnitogorsk, might have issues with rejoining his former club after the Blueshirts claimed Roman Hamrlik off waivers from Washington.
Here’s more, from the Post’s Larry Brooks:
Hamrlik represents the 49th player under contract in the organization, one under the league maximum. Adding Zuccarello, the restricted free agent whose Magnitogorsk Metallurg KHL team was eliminated from the the playoffs on Tuesday, would severely restrict the Rangers’ options approaching the April 3 trade deadline.
General manager Glen Sather told The Post last week that he would reach out to Zuccarello at the conclusion of his season, but the club has not presented the winger with a formal offer despite having had informal discussions on the matter with agent Don Meehan.
Zuccarello is under a two-year contract that contains an NHL out clause after this season. The Blueshirts would therefore have to extend the 25-year-old a one-way offer through at least next season in order to induce him to leave Russia.
Zuccarello was with the Rangers from 2010-12 before jumping to the KHL last May.
His playing time under John Tortorella evaporated from year one to year two. After a moderately successful first season in New York — 6G-17A-23PTS in 42 games — Zuccarello only appeared in 10 games last year, spending most of the season with AHL Connecticut, where he produced at a point-a-game clip.
The 5-foot-7, 180-pound winger scored 28 points in 44 games for Magnitogorsk this season and could spark the Rangers offense, currently sitting 20th in goals per game (2.53) and 24th in power play effectiveness (14.7 percent).
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Some smaller signings to pass your way…
Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The torch has been passed.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Bit of an odd twist.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 3
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 32
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)