Mar 7, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
The Stars have to be pleased that, approaching the midway mark, they’re currently sitting eight overall in the Western Conference.
They’re probably equally pleased with how many fans have shown up to watch them play.
According to the Sports Business Journal (by way of the Dallas Morning News), the Stars lead all National Hockey League clubs in increased attendance this year, averaging 17,673 per game this season, up 32 percent from 2011-12.
Here’s more, from the Morning News:
The improvement is a positive sign for a franchise that is currently boasts a mediocre 11-9 record and often plays fourth fiddle when it comes to professional teams in the metroplex.
Last season, the Stars struggled mightily at the gates and finished only ahead of the Phoenix Coyotes with an average of 14,227.
A series of factors likely played into the increase.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi spent large in the offseason, bringing in Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney as free agents before acquiring Derek Roy from Buffalo via trade. The club also dropped $26.25 million to secure its lone All-Star from last year, Jamie Benn.
The Dallas sports scene is also experiencing something of a lull right now.
The Mavericks sit 11th in the NBA’s Western Conference with a 27-33 mark, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs for the third straight year (granted, the NHL and NFL didn’t overlap this season) and the Rangers lost the services of 2010 AL MVP Josh Hamilton.
As for other NHL clubs? Unsurprisingly, the Chicago Blackhawks lead all teams with an average of 21,580 fans per game.
It’s a perfect storm right now for huge attendance numbers — Chicago is currently in the midst of a historic undefeated streak and plays at one of the league’s largest arenas (with standing room, numbers can get upward of 22,000).
Overall, the NHL teams are averaging 17,668 fans per game, up two percent from 2011-12.
May 25, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
Future of the NHL.
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
Now, that’s a toe-drag.
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Was Friday’s loss his last NHL games?
May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh wins in five games.
May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Bad blood, although this seemed unnecessary.
May 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Big developments coming out of the desert.
May 24, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Await winner of Boston-New York.
May 24, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
L.A. can move to conference final with a win over the Sharks in Game 6.
May 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
Not speaking about Bobrovsky, but in general.
May 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
You be the judge.
May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Including one of his coaching rivals from the QMJHL.
May 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma sticking with the same lineup.
May 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Kevin Prendergast (pictured) and longtime NHL netminder Ron Tugnutt were let go.
May 24, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
“The NHL remains committed to securing the Coyotes’ future in Glendale under new ownership, and we believe Don’s long-term agreement evidences that he is equally committed,” said the deputy commish.
May 24, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
He’s missed the entire series with a broken hand.
May 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has a few things he’d like in return.
May 24, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully, we’ll find that chemistry,” says Spezza.
May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Just a few days after turfing assistant coach Peter Horachek.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 1
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 6
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination