Mar 7, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
The Stars have to be pleased that, approaching the midway mark, they’re currently sitting eight overall in the Western Conference.
They’re probably equally pleased with how many fans have shown up to watch them play.
According to the Sports Business Journal (by way of the Dallas Morning News), the Stars lead all National Hockey League clubs in increased attendance this year, averaging 17,673 per game this season, up 32 percent from 2011-12.
Here’s more, from the Morning News:
The improvement is a positive sign for a franchise that is currently boasts a mediocre 11-9 record and often plays fourth fiddle when it comes to professional teams in the metroplex.
Last season, the Stars struggled mightily at the gates and finished only ahead of the Phoenix Coyotes with an average of 14,227.
A series of factors likely played into the increase.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi spent large in the offseason, bringing in Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney as free agents before acquiring Derek Roy from Buffalo via trade. The club also dropped $26.25 million to secure its lone All-Star from last year, Jamie Benn.
The Dallas sports scene is also experiencing something of a lull right now.
The Mavericks sit 11th in the NBA’s Western Conference with a 27-33 mark, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs for the third straight year (granted, the NHL and NFL didn’t overlap this season) and the Rangers lost the services of 2010 AL MVP Josh Hamilton.
As for other NHL clubs? Unsurprisingly, the Chicago Blackhawks lead all teams with an average of 21,580 fans per game.
It’s a perfect storm right now for huge attendance numbers — Chicago is currently in the midst of a historic undefeated streak and plays at one of the league’s largest arenas (with standing room, numbers can get upward of 22,000).
Overall, the NHL teams are averaging 17,668 fans per game, up two percent from 2011-12.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)