Mar 7, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
The Stars have to be pleased that, approaching the midway mark, they’re currently sitting eight overall in the Western Conference.
They’re probably equally pleased with how many fans have shown up to watch them play.
According to the Sports Business Journal (by way of the Dallas Morning News), the Stars lead all National Hockey League clubs in increased attendance this year, averaging 17,673 per game this season, up 32 percent from 2011-12.
Here’s more, from the Morning News:
The improvement is a positive sign for a franchise that is currently boasts a mediocre 11-9 record and often plays fourth fiddle when it comes to professional teams in the metroplex.
Last season, the Stars struggled mightily at the gates and finished only ahead of the Phoenix Coyotes with an average of 14,227.
A series of factors likely played into the increase.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi spent large in the offseason, bringing in Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney as free agents before acquiring Derek Roy from Buffalo via trade. The club also dropped $26.25 million to secure its lone All-Star from last year, Jamie Benn.
The Dallas sports scene is also experiencing something of a lull right now.
The Mavericks sit 11th in the NBA’s Western Conference with a 27-33 mark, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs for the third straight year (granted, the NHL and NFL didn’t overlap this season) and the Rangers lost the services of 2010 AL MVP Josh Hamilton.
As for other NHL clubs? Unsurprisingly, the Chicago Blackhawks lead all teams with an average of 21,580 fans per game.
It’s a perfect storm right now for huge attendance numbers — Chicago is currently in the midst of a historic undefeated streak and plays at one of the league’s largest arenas (with standing room, numbers can get upward of 22,000).
Overall, the NHL teams are averaging 17,668 fans per game, up two percent from 2011-12.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)