Mar 7, 2013, 10:51 AM EST
The Stars have to be pleased that, approaching the midway mark, they’re currently sitting eight overall in the Western Conference.
They’re probably equally pleased with how many fans have shown up to watch them play.
According to the Sports Business Journal (by way of the Dallas Morning News), the Stars lead all National Hockey League clubs in increased attendance this year, averaging 17,673 per game this season, up 32 percent from 2011-12.
Here’s more, from the Morning News:
The improvement is a positive sign for a franchise that is currently boasts a mediocre 11-9 record and often plays fourth fiddle when it comes to professional teams in the metroplex.
Last season, the Stars struggled mightily at the gates and finished only ahead of the Phoenix Coyotes with an average of 14,227.
A series of factors likely played into the increase.
Stars owner Tom Gaglardi spent large in the offseason, bringing in Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney as free agents before acquiring Derek Roy from Buffalo via trade. The club also dropped $26.25 million to secure its lone All-Star from last year, Jamie Benn.
The Dallas sports scene is also experiencing something of a lull right now.
The Mavericks sit 11th in the NBA’s Western Conference with a 27-33 mark, the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs for the third straight year (granted, the NHL and NFL didn’t overlap this season) and the Rangers lost the services of 2010 AL MVP Josh Hamilton.
As for other NHL clubs? Unsurprisingly, the Chicago Blackhawks lead all teams with an average of 21,580 fans per game.
It’s a perfect storm right now for huge attendance numbers — Chicago is currently in the midst of a historic undefeated streak and plays at one of the league’s largest arenas (with standing room, numbers can get upward of 22,000).
Overall, the NHL teams are averaging 17,668 fans per game, up two percent from 2011-12.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)