Mar 7, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
It was supposed to be six weeks before Flyers forward Matt Read could return to the lineup after suffering torn rib cage muscles.
Make that two weeks, apparently.
Read, 26, will reportedly play tonight when Philadelphia hosts its hated rival from Pittsburgh.
Read left the morning skate today with the other regulars who will play tonight while Mike Knuble took extra practice.
That would imply Read is playing just two weeks after the Flyers estimated he would need six weeks to recover from the injury suffered against the Penguins on Feb. 20 in Pittsburgh, when he was hit by Evgeni Malkin and then Chris Kunitz in the first period.
Read had seven goals and six assists in 18 games before getting hurt.
In other Flyers injury news, defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will also reportedly play tonight. The 28-year-old was forced to leave Tuesday’s game against the Rangers with a lower-body injury.
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 46
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball