Mar 7, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
It was supposed to be six weeks before Flyers forward Matt Read could return to the lineup after suffering torn rib cage muscles.
Make that two weeks, apparently.
Read, 26, will reportedly play tonight when Philadelphia hosts its hated rival from Pittsburgh.
Read left the morning skate today with the other regulars who will play tonight while Mike Knuble took extra practice.
That would imply Read is playing just two weeks after the Flyers estimated he would need six weeks to recover from the injury suffered against the Penguins on Feb. 20 in Pittsburgh, when he was hit by Evgeni Malkin and then Chris Kunitz in the first period.
Read had seven goals and six assists in 18 games before getting hurt.
In other Flyers injury news, defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will also reportedly play tonight. The 28-year-old was forced to leave Tuesday’s game against the Rangers with a lower-body injury.
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 11
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 19
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13