Mar 7, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
It was supposed to be six weeks before Flyers forward Matt Read could return to the lineup after suffering torn rib cage muscles.
Make that two weeks, apparently.
Read, 26, will reportedly play tonight when Philadelphia hosts its hated rival from Pittsburgh.
Read left the morning skate today with the other regulars who will play tonight while Mike Knuble took extra practice.
That would imply Read is playing just two weeks after the Flyers estimated he would need six weeks to recover from the injury suffered against the Penguins on Feb. 20 in Pittsburgh, when he was hit by Evgeni Malkin and then Chris Kunitz in the first period.
Read had seven goals and six assists in 18 games before getting hurt.
In other Flyers injury news, defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will also reportedly play tonight. The 28-year-old was forced to leave Tuesday’s game against the Rangers with a lower-body injury.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53