Mar 7, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
It was supposed to be six weeks before Flyers forward Matt Read could return to the lineup after suffering torn rib cage muscles.
Make that two weeks, apparently.
Read, 26, will reportedly play tonight when Philadelphia hosts its hated rival from Pittsburgh.
Read left the morning skate today with the other regulars who will play tonight while Mike Knuble took extra practice.
That would imply Read is playing just two weeks after the Flyers estimated he would need six weeks to recover from the injury suffered against the Penguins on Feb. 20 in Pittsburgh, when he was hit by Evgeni Malkin and then Chris Kunitz in the first period.
Read had seven goals and six assists in 18 games before getting hurt.
In other Flyers injury news, defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will also reportedly play tonight. The 28-year-old was forced to leave Tuesday’s game against the Rangers with a lower-body injury.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54