Mar 7, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
It was supposed to be six weeks before Flyers forward Matt Read could return to the lineup after suffering torn rib cage muscles.
Make that two weeks, apparently.
Read, 26, will reportedly play tonight when Philadelphia hosts its hated rival from Pittsburgh.
Read left the morning skate today with the other regulars who will play tonight while Mike Knuble took extra practice.
That would imply Read is playing just two weeks after the Flyers estimated he would need six weeks to recover from the injury suffered against the Penguins on Feb. 20 in Pittsburgh, when he was hit by Evgeni Malkin and then Chris Kunitz in the first period.
Read had seven goals and six assists in 18 games before getting hurt.
In other Flyers injury news, defenseman Nicklas Grossmann will also reportedly play tonight. The 28-year-old was forced to leave Tuesday’s game against the Rangers with a lower-body injury.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 30
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)