Mar 7, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Chris Pronger seemed in good spirits as he joked with reporters today in Philadelphia, but his words belied his playful mood.
Mixed in among the jabs at the assembled media, the 38-year-old Flyers defenseman spoke of the “dark days” that accompanied his ongoing recovery from a concussion that’s kept him from playing hockey since late 2011.
And while he’s not ready to officially retire — “I don’t know if this is the end or not…time will tell” — the list of issues he still faces suggests a comeback is extremely unlikely.
Peripheral vision is a problem for Pronger. He keeps having to get stronger glasses. He gets lightheaded and dizzy. He has headaches. He can be irritable at home, particularly around his kids. He’s been depressed. Sometimes his cognitive skills are “suspect.” He can lose his train of thought. He can’t run or do “anything where I’ve got to move my body fast.” According to his doctor, he has “significant vulnerabilities…that may or may not go away.”
Safe to way, if “pretty much anything where there’s a lot going on” still presents challenges for Pronger, suiting up again for the Flyers isn’t a very realistic goal, especially at his age.
For now, Pronger is just “trying to get healthy” so he can “live a normal life.”
And he’s “still got a lot of work ahead of me.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)