Mar 7, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Jacob Markstrom’s chance to lay claim to the Florida Panthers’ starting goalie job got off to a great start on Tuesday, but a lousy Thursday against the Washington Capitals argues that he has a way to go.
The 23-year-old was pulled from Florida’s net after allowing two goals on two shots (something that happened to injured Panthers’ No. 1 guy Jose Theodore during his time with the Capitals, actually).
Before you place too much blame on Markstrom for the shaky beginning, things haven’t been much easier for Scott Clemmensen. As of this writing, the team’s backup has allowed two more tallies on just eight shots.
There’s plenty of time for the Panthers since the game’s only in the first period. So far, having more than 40 extra minutes doesn’t sound like a good thing, though.
Update: it wasn’t a good thing. The Capitals ended up winning 7-1. Check out all the goals in this post from CSNWashington.com.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)