Mar 7, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Mired in a three-game losing streak and sitting 13th overall in the Western Conference, the Edmonton Oilers are a fragile group at the moment.
Just ask Taylor Hall.
“I don’t sense confidence from the team right now,” Hall told the Edmonton Journal following Tuesday’s 4-3 shootout loss in Columbus. “It’s hard to have it when you haven’t been stringing together wins.”
Examples of Edmonton lacking confidence are all over the place — here’s more, from the Journal:
Goaltender Devan Dubnyk has one win in his last seven games and has been on the hook for two or more goals in six of those outings.
The Oilers power play is running at zero for the last three games and they are still waiting for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to find his touch again. He has just one goal in 21 games.
As a team, the Oilers are giving up a league-high average of 34 shots a game and producing a substandard average of 2.36 goals a game.
The next two weeks should prove crucial for the Oilers.
They have four more games left on their season high nine-game road trip — tonight in Detroit, Friday in Nashville, Sunday in Chicago and Tuesday in Colorado — before returning to Rexall for a four-game homestand.
If Edmonton can stay alive in the playoff picture ’til April, they’ll have a chance to make up some ground late in the season.
The Oilers play seven of their final nine games at home, five of which come against Northwest Division opponents.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)