Mar 7, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
NHL players are officially on board with the league’s plan for realignment.
“After discussions with the Executive Board, the NHLPA has given consent to realignment, to be re-evaluated following the 2014-15 season,” said the union’s executive director, Don Fehr, in a statement released Thursday evening.
In December of 2011, the NHL announced a “radical” realignment plan that split the league into four “conferences” as opposed to its current structure of two conferences with three divisions in each.
However, the NHLPA eventually scuttled the plan, citing concerns over travel as well as the fairness of the proposed playoff qualification system.
The league’s last reported proposal was back to two conferences — Western and Eastern — with four divisions.
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly released the following statement following the union’s announcement:
“The NHL Players’ Association confirmed to us today that it has consented to a revised plan for realignment, effective for the 2013-14 season. Our next step will be to bring the proposed plan for realignment to the NHL Board of Governors for its consideration. We will update the status of the process as future developments warrant.”
Dec 18, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
“If they’re waiting for a coaching change, they’re going to be waiting a long time.”
Dec 18, 2013, 5:24 PM EST
Already has 22 goals this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Goaltending has been an issue for the Devils this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Last played in the NHL back in 2005-06.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
“We have a lot of guys here,” says Patrik Elias.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tough times in T.O.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Both players are fortunate there was no serious injury.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Bruins GM had a chat with his mischievous player.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Detroit forward currently shelved while undergoing concussion protocol.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
David Clarkson has two goals in 24 games.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Already ruled out for Thursday’s tilt vs. Montreal.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Just days after Lindy Ruff lamented the club’s lack of blueline experience.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
Washington rookie will meet with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Won’t take part in tonight’s rivalry game vs. the Rangers on NBCSN.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
D-man was invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
That’s the “strong sense” one prominent hockey reporter is getting.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Former Avalanche forward saw his career end after Todd Bertuzzi incident.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
“There are multiple, easy avenues that seem like they’re the way to go but there are 30 teams in this league that are doing the same thing and trying to effect that ultimate goal and that’s to win the Stanley Cup.”
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
King Henrik hasn’t been so good since signing that big contract extension.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Rookie defenseman scored his first NHL goal earlier this week.
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 0
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 14
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 27
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 31
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 31
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)