Mar 7, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
A three-time 10-goal scorer that racked up a career-high 16 in 2009-10, Drew Doughty‘s never had problems putting pucks in the net.
As such, one can understand his current level of frustration.
The LA Kings blueliner is goalless in 21 games this season and on Friday admitted the slump is getting to him.
“It’s frustrating, obviously,” Doughty told NHL.com. “It’s in my head too often. I want to get that goal really bad.”
While it’s not the first time he’s fallen into an early-season scoring funk — he only had two goals through 21 games last year — it’s the first time he’s failed to find the back of the net entirely, which is understandably maddening.
This is the same guy, after all, that scored 33 goals over his final two years with Guelph of the Ontario Hockey League.
That said, Doughty insists he won’t go chasing that elusive first tally.
“I’m still just playing my solid defensive game and if I have that opportunity, I’ll try to put one in the net,” he explained. “Yeah, it’s frustrating, but the coaches are happy with the way I’m playing.
“If I don’t score a goal and we’re winning, it really doesn’t matter.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 16
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)