Mar 7, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
A three-time 10-goal scorer that racked up a career-high 16 in 2009-10, Drew Doughty‘s never had problems putting pucks in the net.
As such, one can understand his current level of frustration.
The LA Kings blueliner is goalless in 21 games this season and on Friday admitted the slump is getting to him.
“It’s frustrating, obviously,” Doughty told NHL.com. “It’s in my head too often. I want to get that goal really bad.”
While it’s not the first time he’s fallen into an early-season scoring funk — he only had two goals through 21 games last year — it’s the first time he’s failed to find the back of the net entirely, which is understandably maddening.
This is the same guy, after all, that scored 33 goals over his final two years with Guelph of the Ontario Hockey League.
That said, Doughty insists he won’t go chasing that elusive first tally.
“I’m still just playing my solid defensive game and if I have that opportunity, I’ll try to put one in the net,” he explained. “Yeah, it’s frustrating, but the coaches are happy with the way I’m playing.
“If I don’t score a goal and we’re winning, it really doesn’t matter.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)