Mar 7, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ken Holland wants to be a buyer at the April 3 trade deadline, but first the Red Wings general manager needs his team to win some games before he considers adding assets for a Stanley Cup run.
At the moment, the Wings (11-8-4, 6th in the West) are right on the bubble. They host Edmonton tonight, then have back-to-back games versus Columbus. So at least in the near-term, Holland may get his wish.
“First off, we got to win some games; we got to be in a position where we think we’re a playoff team and it makes good business sense,” Holland said, per MLive.com. “If we don’t win enough games, that decision is going to be made for me.
“We got to assess our team over the next 2-3 weeks and see if we’re in a position to be a playoff team. Then we’ll explore.”
The Wings haven’t missed the postseason since 1989-90; however, that’s a possibility their remarkable run ends this season, which happens to be their first since 1990-91 without one of the best defenseman of all time, Nicklas Lidstrom.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 55
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming