Mar 7, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ken Holland wants to be a buyer at the April 3 trade deadline, but first the Red Wings general manager needs his team to win some games before he considers adding assets for a Stanley Cup run.
At the moment, the Wings (11-8-4, 6th in the West) are right on the bubble. They host Edmonton tonight, then have back-to-back games versus Columbus. So at least in the near-term, Holland may get his wish.
“First off, we got to win some games; we got to be in a position where we think we’re a playoff team and it makes good business sense,” Holland said, per MLive.com. “If we don’t win enough games, that decision is going to be made for me.
“We got to assess our team over the next 2-3 weeks and see if we’re in a position to be a playoff team. Then we’ll explore.”
The Wings haven’t missed the postseason since 1989-90; however, that’s a possibility their remarkable run ends this season, which happens to be their first since 1990-91 without one of the best defenseman of all time, Nicklas Lidstrom.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)