Mar 7, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ken Holland wants to be a buyer at the April 3 trade deadline, but first the Red Wings general manager needs his team to win some games before he considers adding assets for a Stanley Cup run.
At the moment, the Wings (11-8-4, 6th in the West) are right on the bubble. They host Edmonton tonight, then have back-to-back games versus Columbus. So at least in the near-term, Holland may get his wish.
“First off, we got to win some games; we got to be in a position where we think we’re a playoff team and it makes good business sense,” Holland said, per MLive.com. “If we don’t win enough games, that decision is going to be made for me.
“We got to assess our team over the next 2-3 weeks and see if we’re in a position to be a playoff team. Then we’ll explore.”
The Wings haven’t missed the postseason since 1989-90; however, that’s a possibility their remarkable run ends this season, which happens to be their first since 1990-91 without one of the best defenseman of all time, Nicklas Lidstrom.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)