Mar 7, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils got off to a great start to the 2013 campaign, but it’s been erased by their current 2-7-2 stretch.
Still, if Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has concerns about his team, he’s keeping them to himself.
“We can’t look back on anything,” Lamoriello said, according to the Bergen Record. “The effort’s there. The coaches are working as hard as anybody could work at what they’re doing. The schedule creeps up on you.
“Things are not going well and the schedule is tight. But, concerns? No. I just have too much respect for the people sitting on that bench and the people standing behind that bench.
“The character will take over.”
It’s worth noting that while the worst of this slump has corresponded with Brodeur’s absence, it would be hard to pin this entirely on Hedberg.
“Well, we’re looking for answers,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said. “There’s been opportunities there. Some guys have created enough opportunities that they should be scoring.
“Some other guys have to create some more. The fact that all of them have dried up at the same time obviously has been the tough part. Usually you get one or two guys … that are going through tough streaks, but other guys are hot.
“We’ve gone dry across the board here for the last six or seven games.”
The Devils haven’t been on a seven-game losing streak since 1986. They’ll try to keep it that way when they face the Buffalo Sabres tonight.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 19
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 39
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 75
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'