Mar 7, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils got off to a great start to the 2013 campaign, but it’s been erased by their current 2-7-2 stretch.
Still, if Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has concerns about his team, he’s keeping them to himself.
“We can’t look back on anything,” Lamoriello said, according to the Bergen Record. “The effort’s there. The coaches are working as hard as anybody could work at what they’re doing. The schedule creeps up on you.
“Things are not going well and the schedule is tight. But, concerns? No. I just have too much respect for the people sitting on that bench and the people standing behind that bench.
“The character will take over.”
It’s worth noting that while the worst of this slump has corresponded with Brodeur’s absence, it would be hard to pin this entirely on Hedberg.
“Well, we’re looking for answers,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said. “There’s been opportunities there. Some guys have created enough opportunities that they should be scoring.
“Some other guys have to create some more. The fact that all of them have dried up at the same time obviously has been the tough part. Usually you get one or two guys … that are going through tough streaks, but other guys are hot.
“We’ve gone dry across the board here for the last six or seven games.”
The Devils haven’t been on a seven-game losing streak since 1986. They’ll try to keep it that way when they face the Buffalo Sabres tonight.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)