Mar 7, 2013, 12:23 AM EST
Welcome back, Miikka Kiprusoff.
The Calgary Flames 36-year-old goaltender, who missed 13 games with a grade 2 MCL sprain, stopped 32 of the 33 shots he faced, including 17 in the final period, for his third win of the season.
“I’ve coached Patrick Roy,” Flames head coach Bob Hartley told the Calgary Herald prior to Wednesday’s game.
“I know that it was just not the same, as much as a coach does not want to admit it or even talk (about it). I never talked to my team and said, ‘Hey, we have Kipper back,’ (or) ‘We have Patrick Roy back.’ I already know that it’s in the players’ minds.
“It shouldn’t change your game. But I really believe that it does.”
The Flames offensive outburst to win the game came after a streaker took to the ice at Calgary’s Scotiabank Saddledome during the second intermission.
The streaker, unlike the one who fell on the ice and was taken off on a stretcher in 2002, was not completely naked.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)