Mar 7, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
Ian White hasn’t suited up for the Red Wings since an 8-3 win over Vancouver on Feb. 24 and has been a healthy scratch for the last four games.
Tonight, he’ll be one once again when Detroit hosts the Oilers at Joe Louis, which has plenty of people asking:
Will he ask for a trade?
“No, we’re not there yet,” White told Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily. “This is Game 5, you play so many games in a condensed period, it can get away from you pretty quick.
“All of a sudden you look after the weekend that’s seven straight games, if you don’t play.”
‘Yet’ seems to be the operative word here, as the 28-year-old blueiner’s in a very uncertain position.
That doesn’t bode well for White, especially with Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) reportedly close to returning.
White is in the final season of a two-year, $5.75 million contract and could be a target for teams looking to add offensive punch to the blueline. He posted a career-high 32 points last season with Detroit, leading all blueliners in assists (25).
The former Leaf, Flame, Shark and Hurricane is trying to stay positive but, given how much he’s moved around during his career, could be thinking there’s a better situation out there for him.
“In terms of trying to stick with it and how I deal with it, you’ve got to come to the rink and be a good teammate, can’t put yourself above the team and be pouting and moping around here,” White explained. “That doesn’t do anyone any favors. Just try to stay positive, there’s more to life than just hockey, too. You’ve got your family at home to worry about.
“So there are lots of things on the go other than this. But it’s really a frustrating time.”
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)