Mar 7, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Ian White hasn’t suited up for the Red Wings since an 8-3 win over Vancouver on Feb. 24 and has been a healthy scratch for the last four games.
Tonight, he’ll be one once again when Detroit hosts the Oilers at Joe Louis, which has plenty of people asking:
Will he ask for a trade?
“No, we’re not there yet,” White told Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily. “This is Game 5, you play so many games in a condensed period, it can get away from you pretty quick.
“All of a sudden you look after the weekend that’s seven straight games, if you don’t play.”
‘Yet’ seems to be the operative word here, as the 28-year-old blueiner’s in a very uncertain position.
That doesn’t bode well for White, especially with Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) reportedly close to returning.
White is in the final season of a two-year, $5.75 million contract and could be a target for teams looking to add offensive punch to the blueline. He posted a career-high 32 points last season with Detroit, leading all blueliners in assists (25).
The former Leaf, Flame, Shark and Hurricane is trying to stay positive but, given how much he’s moved around during his career, could be thinking there’s a better situation out there for him.
“In terms of trying to stick with it and how I deal with it, you’ve got to come to the rink and be a good teammate, can’t put yourself above the team and be pouting and moping around here,” White explained. “That doesn’t do anyone any favors. Just try to stay positive, there’s more to life than just hockey, too. You’ve got your family at home to worry about.
“So there are lots of things on the go other than this. But it’s really a frustrating time.”
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)