Mar 7, 2013, 2:54 PM EST
Ian White hasn’t suited up for the Red Wings since an 8-3 win over Vancouver on Feb. 24 and has been a healthy scratch for the last four games.
Tonight, he’ll be one once again when Detroit hosts the Oilers at Joe Louis, which has plenty of people asking:
Will he ask for a trade?
“No, we’re not there yet,” White told Chuck Pleiness of the Macomb Daily. “This is Game 5, you play so many games in a condensed period, it can get away from you pretty quick.
“All of a sudden you look after the weekend that’s seven straight games, if you don’t play.”
‘Yet’ seems to be the operative word here, as the 28-year-old blueiner’s in a very uncertain position.
That doesn’t bode well for White, especially with Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) reportedly close to returning.
White is in the final season of a two-year, $5.75 million contract and could be a target for teams looking to add offensive punch to the blueline. He posted a career-high 32 points last season with Detroit, leading all blueliners in assists (25).
The former Leaf, Flame, Shark and Hurricane is trying to stay positive but, given how much he’s moved around during his career, could be thinking there’s a better situation out there for him.
“In terms of trying to stick with it and how I deal with it, you’ve got to come to the rink and be a good teammate, can’t put yourself above the team and be pouting and moping around here,” White explained. “That doesn’t do anyone any favors. Just try to stay positive, there’s more to life than just hockey, too. You’ve got your family at home to worry about.
“So there are lots of things on the go other than this. But it’s really a frustrating time.”
Dec 18, 2013, 1:21 AM EST
A relative unknown is now the hottest goalie in the NHL.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
In more ways than one.
Dec 17, 2013, 11:07 PM EST
Only one point separate these teams now.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
Brutal stuff for Evgeni Nabokov & Co.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Both teams’ differing streaks continue.
Dec 17, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
Florida’s entourage wins fourth in a row.
Dec 17, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Notice a theme tonight?
Dec 17, 2013, 9:21 PM EST
His boarding hit could draw more than a minor penalty.
Dec 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EST
The Ducks star managed to return.
Dec 17, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Dec 17, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
Mark Fraser in, Frazer McLaren out.
Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
He was injured against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 17, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
“It’s all about hard work, and it goes to everyone.”
Dec 17, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
“It’s all good signs. I’ve still got a lot of work to do.”
Dec 17, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As illustrated by the picture.
Dec 17, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 17, 2013, 3:09 PM EST
He’ll need surgery to repair a torn tendon.
Dec 17, 2013, 3:04 PM EST
Carolina has three goalies, and that’s one too many.
Dec 17, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
New candidate for Best Headline Ever.
Dec 17, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
Out with a broken hand since Oct. 25.
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 5
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 43
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 100
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Flyers blow 4-1 lead, Caps win in shootout 25
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (122)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (100)