Mar 7, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Bourque, 27, is the son of Bruins legend Ray Bourque.
He was acquired by Boston last May and surprised some by making the Bruins roster out of abbreviated training camp — he’d only appeared in 33 games over the six seasons prior to joining the B’s, and hadn’t played an NHL game since 2010.
That said, Bourque was a pretty regular contributor for the B’s this season, appearing in 18 of Boston’s 20 games while recording 1G-3A-4PTS and averaging over 12 minutes per contest.
(Of course, he also had a minus-6 rating and only played 7:17 and 8:55 in his last two games.)
This move shouldn’t come as a huge surprise for Bourque or Bruins fans.
Yesterday, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty suggested changes might be coming for the disappointing third line of Chris Kelly, Rich Peverley and Bourque, who were “far from good” in Tuesday’s 4-3 OT loss to Washington.
“We’ve got a lot of guys now that need to be better for us, and that’s something we can all see,” head coach Claude Julien said. “Kelly was on the ice for three goals, one of which was that face-off play when he’s out there with [Patrice] Bergeron. But somehow if you’re not going to produce you need to be able to at least keep the puck out of your own net.
“Right now we’re not getting either from that line, so it’s a concern that we need to look at.”
Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Would be his series debut, and first game since the Sochi Olympics.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)