Mar 7, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
It sounds like rugged Columbus Blue Jackets forward Derek Dorsett is done for the 2013 season.
The 26-year-old winger suffered a broken clavicle during Thursday’s 2-1 overtime win against the Vancouver Canucks, the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports.
Word is that Dorsett was probably injured after being “blasted” in the goalmouth area by Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts, according to Shawn Mitchell (also of the Dispatch).
The Blue Jackets’ tough guy has seen his role increase this season after setting a career-high with 20 points in 2011-12. Dorsett had a solid nine points in 23 games and has averaged a career-high 16:40 minutes per game going into Thursday.
In other words, this is a bigger loss for Columbus than it would be in other seasons.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)