Mar 7, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
It sounds like rugged Columbus Blue Jackets forward Derek Dorsett is done for the 2013 season.
The 26-year-old winger suffered a broken clavicle during Thursday’s 2-1 overtime win against the Vancouver Canucks, the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports.
Word is that Dorsett was probably injured after being “blasted” in the goalmouth area by Canucks defenseman Andrew Alberts, according to Shawn Mitchell (also of the Dispatch).
The Blue Jackets’ tough guy has seen his role increase this season after setting a career-high with 20 points in 2011-12. Dorsett had a solid nine points in 23 games and has averaged a career-high 16:40 minutes per game going into Thursday.
In other words, this is a bigger loss for Columbus than it would be in other seasons.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)