Mar 7, 2013, 8:01 AM EDT
Bobby Clarke won two Stanley Cups with the Philadelphia Flyers and played a key role in helping them set a new record in 1979-80 with their 35-game points streak.
Fast forward to last night, when the Chicago Blackhawks came from behind to extend their current points streak to 30 contests, dating back to last season.
Clarke thinks “all the records should be challenged and beaten by new generations,” but he argues that the Blackhawks aren’t as close to besting his team’s mark as people are giving them credit for.
“They can’t use last year’s games, that’s foolishness,” Clarke said in an NHL.com report. “Can Sidney Crosby go back and take the points he got in the last 10 games and add them to this year and add them to the scoring race? Can the Flyers add their point total from the last 10 games and add them to this year so they can get a playoff spot?
“It’s legitimate if they do it in one season. It’s not legitimate if they use two season totals.”
Chicago hasn’t lost in regulation through 24 games this season. That not only shatters the previous record for the best points streak to start a campaign, it also extends through half of their schedule. They have nearly double the points of the ninth place squad in the Western Conference.
Still, regardless of when the Blackhawks streak started, Clarke isn’t going to mope if his squad loses the record.
“Whatever Chicago does, it didn’t take away from what Philadelphia did,” Clarke said. “The players that were part of the Flyers in those days can still enjoy what we did and celebrate what we did.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)