Mar 6, 2013, 12:32 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens fell to the New York Islanders 6-3 on Tuesday, but their last score was quite the franchise milestone. Brian Gionta‘s power-play marker was the 20,000th goal in team history.
Here’s video of the goal:
NHL Network trotted out a helpful infographic that listed the top goal scoring teams in NHL history:
New York Rangers: 18,135
It’s hard to imagine any team surpassing the Habs on this list, at least as long as they exist. (The second place Bruins will take a few seasons to hit 20K, for one.)
Too bad it didn’t happen in Montreal, although from the sound of the crowd in Long Island, at least a few people sensed it was a special moment.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 0
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming