Mar 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
The Boston Bruins had to feel pretty good about themselves going into the first intermission of Tuesday’s game against the Washington Capitals with a 3-0 lead. Their mood changed by the end of this contest.
The Capitals have been surging lately, but they need every point they can get after digging a sizable hole for themselves to start the season. So they kept fighting in the second period and clawed their way into overtime.
Then, just as the overtime period was getting underway, Eric Fehr attempted to skate in between Boston Bruins defensemen Dennis Seidenberg and Dougie Hamilton as they closed in on him from either side.
Fehr ended up losing his footing in the process, but still managed to get off the deciding shot while falling down.
You can see the play below:
Even with that victory, Washington is still tied for last place in the Eastern Conference. As impressive as this win was, they have a lot of work ahead of them if they want to get back into the playoff race.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)