Mar 6, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators received more good news on the health front Wednesday, as GM Brian Murray said Jason Spezza could be back in the lineup well in advance of the Apr. 3 trade deadline.
“Jason has been cleared by the doctors for hard work and to get it going,” Murray told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “We’re hoping in about two to three weeks we’ll be able to put him into the lineup for us.”
Spezza, Ottawa’s leading point-getter from a year ago, has been out of action since Jan. 27 after tweaking his back during a 2-1 shootout loss to Pittsburgh.
He underwent surgery on Feb. 1 and, a week later, said he was aiming to return for the playoffs.
So clearly, rehab has gone better than expected.
Ottawa is anxiously awaiting Spezza’s return, as he’ll inject some life into an offense averaging an Eastern Conference-worst 2.1 goals per game.
That said, the Sens have done extremely well (5-3-2 in their last 10) to battle through the losses of Spezza, reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson, goalie Craig Anderson and forward Milan Michalek, who led the team with 35 goals in 2011-12.
Michalek will return from a 10-game absence tonight against Toronto, and Anderson’s return shouldn’t be far behind. Ottawa said Anderson won’t be in the lineup on Friday when the Sens take on the Rangers, but could make his return next week.
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT
Remarkable … and risky?
Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (142)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)