Mar 6, 2013, 8:39 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators received more good news on the health front Wednesday, as GM Brian Murray said Jason Spezza could be back in the lineup well in advance of the Apr. 3 trade deadline.
“Jason has been cleared by the doctors for hard work and to get it going,” Murray told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. “We’re hoping in about two to three weeks we’ll be able to put him into the lineup for us.”
Spezza, Ottawa’s leading point-getter from a year ago, has been out of action since Jan. 27 after tweaking his back during a 2-1 shootout loss to Pittsburgh.
He underwent surgery on Feb. 1 and, a week later, said he was aiming to return for the playoffs.
So clearly, rehab has gone better than expected.
Ottawa is anxiously awaiting Spezza’s return, as he’ll inject some life into an offense averaging an Eastern Conference-worst 2.1 goals per game.
That said, the Sens have done extremely well (5-3-2 in their last 10) to battle through the losses of Spezza, reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson, goalie Craig Anderson and forward Milan Michalek, who led the team with 35 goals in 2011-12.
Michalek will return from a 10-game absence tonight against Toronto, and Anderson’s return shouldn’t be far behind. Ottawa said Anderson won’t be in the lineup on Friday when the Sens take on the Rangers, but could make his return next week.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
“I’m just getting tired.”
Oct 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, the Canucks will have to decide if he fits into their lineup.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He wasn’t alone in praising the out-of-market fans.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)