Mar 6, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
The New York Rangers have released a statement regarding the health of injured defenseman Marc Staal.
Here’s the update, courtesy the team website:
Following an injury suffered in last night’s game vs. Philadelphia, Rangers alternate captain Marc Staal was examined today in New York by Dr. Mark Fromer, ophthalmologist, and Dr. Mendel Markowitz, maxillofacial surgeon.
The injury has improved significantly and both doctors are optimistic that Marc will make a full recovery.
Staal will be sidelined indefinitely.
The 26-year-old rearguard was hurt after taking a puck to the face with 14 minutes remaining in the third period:
Rangers head coach John Tortorella called the incident “scary” in his postgame media scrum while Blueshirts defenseman Ryan McDonagh said “you could tell how much pain [Staal] was in immediately.”
Earlier today, Staal’s brother Eric didn’t have much to report, but did say Marc was in good spirits.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)